HDHR Primes don't load any channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sleyk

HDHR Primes don't load any channels

Post by sleyk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi,

I have 2 x HDHOMERUN primes, of which they dont load any channels. I did several channel scans and they show my channels ok, albeit Im missing several, but thats ok.

I use the HDHOMERUN app.

What I did:

-I upgraded to the latest beta firmware, and I even doublechecked with my cable company that all cable cards are good.

-I updated my router to the latest firmware. I ensured UPNP was enabled.

When I tune to a channel, it starts playing for one second, then stops playing.

Any help from the experts?
Last edited by sleyk on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR Primes don't load any channels

Post by signcarver » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:18 pm

The cable company won't know that your cards are good as they get no information from them. CableCARDS were never meant to be scanned to get a lineup and what is/was expected is for one to simply request whatever channel and if it knows about it to tuner tune to that channel from it's channel map, then if you weren't subscribed or other issue a message about such could be displayed (though in some cases not the root of the problem). However SD requires a scan, that is quite often horrible, in that it must be able to tune a channel correctly for it to be added to it's channel list.

Typically when they stop after a second or two means the card isn't properly provisioned and is the reason why the channel wasn't added to the scan.

You didn't mention provider or type (brand) of card or any information from the cablecard pages to give a better idea of what needs to be done (i.e. the oob signal levels, the card not being validated, the card not being staged, etc. It also wouldn't hurt to post the logs at the time you tried to tune a channel and it stopped. Depending on the provider info, you should also post if you need to use a TA for SDV video which could also be a reason for not seeing all the channels.

sleyk

Post by sleyk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Ok Thanks for that reply. I do suspect that the cablecards may not be properly provisioned. I currently have Optimum Online. I use a Edgerouter X for a Gateway.

From what I can see from my cablecard menu, the signals look good:

Card Manufacturer Technicolor/Cisco
Card Authentication success
Card Validation none
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 74.000 MHz
OOB Lock 1.544 Mbps
Signal Strength 100% (13.5 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (33.4 dB)
Channel List cablecard-oob

I couldnt find any logs, but when I try to tune a channel it says: "Unable to play channel. Unspecified Error."

I made several calls to my ISP and they had low to zero idea what I was talking about. Ok, before I go further, Im gonna go to my cable company and request new cards and see if this works. If not, will update here.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Card validation none means it isn't properly paired. Last i heard optimum in most markets had drm on most channels which would require it to be validated. Since a cisco card also check the ca page for the status. It would also require a device/client that supports drm.

Logs shiwing whenever you tune a channel should be in system status, system log.