Setting Up Multiple HDHR-PRIME's

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mustang5o

Setting Up Multiple HDHR-PRIME's

Post by mustang5o » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:09 am

Since the cost of the streaming services have gone up as well I'm sticking with cable for a while longer. My friend and I both started using HDHR-PRIME about the same time but he has moved on to streaming only. I'm thinking about adding his PRIME to my setup. I've read a few threads where people mention running multiple PRIME's. I have some questions about the setup.

First off my cable modem (Cox by the way), PRIME and TA are all right next to each other. Honestly it's the only live cable feed I've been able to confirm works since I moved into my hour just over 3 years ago. They cable coming in goes to a splitter for the modem and PRIME. If I need to move to a 3 way splitter will I run into problems with signal strength or quality?

When setting up the second PRIME on the computer will it end up just showing that I have 6 tuners available or will I need to do some additional work to get it working correctly?

If there are links to docs or threads I may have missed please pass them along. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Setting Up Multiple HDHR-PRIME's

Post by Ken.F » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:31 am

What software do you plan on using the Primes with? The HDHomeRun DVR and client apps should find your tuners on the network automatically. Others may require some kind of setup to add the new device.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:48 am

As far as signal goes, only you can answer that question after such is done... are you in a cisco or Motorola area... typically cisco areas can daisy chain the prime through the rf out of the TA but motorola areas the out of the TA is almost equivalent to a 4 way splitter so one should always split. If you are worried, i would suggest a balanced 3way that way the modem an each prime gets the same signal... traditional 3way splitters act the same as a 2 way with one leg going to another 2way with one port having half the loss than the other 2. When i installed for cox, we were to make sure signal was good enough to work with a passive 4way without issues.

SD's software detects any HDHomeRun on the same subnet so no additional setup is "needed" though if you have the DVR you may wish to make sure all tuners are registered with your account (the app makes this a little easier now but I would probably still use the link from email). Other software typically has to be configured and may require running of SD's setup utility as well (from full software package) and in the case of WMC, one may need to make sure they have something to increase tuner limit (such as tunersalad or epg123, though i seemingly have had issues trying to do such with (just) the later)

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:17 pm

I have been running the HDHR DVR with the app on FireTV's now for a bit. I dumped WMC (even though I liked it a bit better) after having some issues with that. There's only so much work on I want to do on my home tech after working all day (in IT). So it sounds like setup should be simple enough.

I believe I have Motorola TA. I'll look into a balanced 3 way.

Thank you very much for the information.