Added 2nd HDHR - Lost Channels!

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
TangoOversway

Added 2nd HDHR - Lost Channels!

Post by TangoOversway » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Short version: I've a HDHR in the house that's worked fine. I added one, on the same LAN, in my barn. The one in the barn can't get 2 channels, but now Channels, the HDHR program (on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac) can no longer get those 2 channels. Even after I remove the 2nd HDHR that couldn't get the channels from the barn antenna, I still can't get those channels I could get only yesterday.

More in depth version: I've been using a HDHR Quattro for a few months, along with the Channels DVR and things have been working fine.

I have an old barn that's soon to be a guest house that is a good distance from the house. I'm using fiber optic cable to connect the barn so it's on the same LAN. I put up a 2nd digital antenna on the barn (1st antenna being on the house). Remember, I've had good results with the HDHR using just the antenna on the house. I've tested the antenna on the barn with a TV and got useable signals there, but I found that with the extra length of cable to run from the signal booster to my patch panel inside the house it's far enough I don't get all the signals inside.

I hooked up my HDHR Quattro to the barn antenna today. That's when I found it wasn't reading two channels, 12 and 15 (and their subchannels, so 12.1 is not just out, but, of course 12.2, 12.3, 15.2 - you get the idea).

So I have two Quattros, one in the house, that was working just great, and the one in the barn that can't get channels 12 or 15 (and maybe some others). I ran the HDHR program on my iPad and tried to watch channel 12. No video data. That was the same at the house and barn. (But, because of the connection from one location to the other, and only one DHCP server, there shouldn't be a difference.) I disconnected the 2nd HDHR, then tried again. Still can't get channel 12 or 15, and I could yesterday. I pulled the plug on my HDHR in the house, the one connected to the antenna that gets all the channels. I waited a while, then powered it back up.

I still cannot get channels 12 or 15. If it were just one, I'd wonder if it was temporarily off the air, but it's 2 channels that were coming in fine yesterday. Once I hooked up the 2nd HDHR to my 2nd antenna (that could not receive 12 or 15), the other HDHR is not receiving them at all, either - even after power cycling it.

So how do I get that 1st HDHR to realize it has a good signal and the one that couldn't get 12 and 15 is gone?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Added 2nd HDHR - Lost Channels!

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Run a channel scan and make sure it picks it up. As far as the channels app goes i suggest asking in their forum but for SD's software, the list of channels is pulled in from the tuners but if there it finds a dvr engine, it plays live through that unless the channel is drm protected or from a legacy tuner (which for ota and a quatro, it won't be). It can take up to 2 hours for a dvr engine to properly sync the channel list from the tuners and if the channel wasn't listed the last time it did so you would get the error you reported (quickest way to fix is after making sure scan picked up channel is to restart the dvr (note that one does not need a dvr subscription any more for that live buffer so even if you don't think you have the dvr, someone might have one running somewhere on your network.

TangoOversway

Post by TangoOversway » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:23 pm

Maybe this is obvious, but I can't find it.

How do you tell an HDHR to run a new channel scan?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 pm

For modern devices for most the easiest way is to go to my.hdhomerun.com click on the "## Channels" of the device (where ## is the actual number of channels being reported) which will take you directly to the lineup page of the device and then click detect channels. Alternatively you can go to the ip of the device from a browser (which can also be done by clicking the name of the device at my.hdhomerun.com) then click channel lineup then detect channels.

Alternatively, and required for legacy devices to use SD's modern software, one can use the windows hdhomerun setup utility from the full windows software package download.

For third party apps they might require alternative methods but typically modern apps rely on the channel scan.

TangoOversway

Post by TangoOversway » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Hmmmm...

I go to that URL, but I get "No HDHomeRun detected." Could that be because I'm on a Mac? Or some other likely reason? I don't use the 192.168.xxx.xxx subnet, like most people do. Could that be it? (I'm using macOS 10.14.3, so it should be high enough a version to work, right?)

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:53 am

Then go to the tuner directly by it's ip address (assuming modern tuner).

For my.hdhomerun.com to work, the tuners must have internet access and you must connect from same public ip as the tuners connected to sd from (no vpn or proxy). Also make sure to use http not https (the tuners web page can't be accessed by https and typically browsers will balk at trying to access the unsecure content if accessing a secure site, some browsers also block connecting to your lan from a remote site)

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:57 am

Maybe I'm not understanding the intent of your home/barn configuration, but why not just connect both Quatro units to the house antenna where both units would get all the channels? Both of the Quatro units would be sitting right beside one another, in the house, and both of them accessible to the LAN.

TangoOversway

Post by TangoOversway » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:30 am

There is just enough of a difference in location between the house and the barn that I get one channel in the barn that I don't get at the house and I get two channels in the house I don't get in the barn.

Okay, got the tuner page directly. I somehow had the Tuner Status page and didn't realize the headline was a link to the main status page. I don't remember where I got that link - odd I found that page and didn't find anything about the main page from the HDHR itself.