HDhomerun Quatro streaming problem

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDhomerun Quatro streaming problem

Post by signcarver » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Did you make sure the engine was off... the older unit can't be used by the recording engine so that isn't part of the path with it.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:13 am

Not only did I turn the recording engine off on the 102 IP address, but after unchecking that box and applying, I rebooted all devices and uninstalled the HDHR Windows software completely from that machine (a client PC in the house on the powerline adapter portion of the LAN). The only machine that has the HDHomerun software is my 24/7 media server. I switched that recording engine on temporarily, just in case I needed to redirect the HDHR to the wired gigabit network, and then I flipped it back off again. I do believe the HDHR software on the media server is a year old or so if that would matter.

Is it possible the Quatro has somehow dropped it's network speed to base 10 for some reason, because I've never seen it produce more data than about 9.5 Mbps?

I'm kind of stumped. If no one has any other ideas, I'm going to temporarily disconnect the powerline adapter from the gigabit network and see if that doesn't get it moving again.

Thanks to all that have posted for the ideas.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:49 am

Have you changed the Network Cable sometimes you get a bad one if you did have you tried a different port on the Switch ?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:12 pm

the joys of unmanaged switches..
definitely something somewhere is restricting to 10Mbps

It could be the switch, I haven't had one of these fail like this, usually is catastrophic (all ports dead), but always a possibility
Only way to verify if port is 100M or 10M is via Web GUI (unavailable AFAIK on ths S) as LEDs just show diff for 10/100 vs 1000 :(
Do you have another switch to try?
or maybe connect both tuner and client into your router switch
If it is the switch - for future get the smart managed ones.. the v3 1024DE is excellent

I would try and disconnect as much as you can from the tuner to a client.. i.e. if you have router, tuner, client and 20 other things connected to the switch - remove the 20 other things
Also power refresh the switch (and any other switches between the 2) to remove any bad entries in memory.

Try a cable that is lighting up a port as 1000 on the switch instead of the one you have - tolerances can be a bitch

Of course it could be the Quattro - but you want to make sure so that if you get replacement you aren't just stuck in same bad situation.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Clarifying, the Quatro is reporting that it is working correctly and with a local link of 100f. The problem is the network bandwidth or remote end isn't fast enough to handle the data rate.

The fact it is just below 10Mbps strongly suggests a network link somewhere between the Quatro and the PC is stuck at 10Mbps.

Nick

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm

I just hooked a laptop up to the R7000 - to clarify, I unplugged the Quatro and plugged in the laptop. The laptop connects to the R7000 at 100 Mbps. I moved a file from the 24/7 server to the laptop at 12 MB/sec. That's pretty much 100 Mbps - there's no way that it's limited to 9.5 Mbps by my hardware best I can tell.

Is there a way that I can just hook the Quatro directly to a computer with a network cable to test this? It can't be this complicated.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:23 pm

nickk wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:58 pm

The fact it is just below 10Mbps strongly suggests a network link somewhere between the Quatro and the PC is stuck at 10Mbps.
That is interesting for sure.

Nick, I just tested every PC on my network, including the PC that I have connected via the powerline adapter. Even the PC on the powerline adapter was able to move a large file from the server PC at or above (stable) 20 megabytes per second. That's roughly 160 Mbps. It's hard to imagine some network limit less than 100 Mbps.

I bought this Quatro on Ebay. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the device?

3ton

Post by 3ton » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 pm

If it was me, I would disconnect everything (Everything). Just have a router, quarto and one wired playback device. No server, no switches, no dvr. See if it that works and then add stuff back till you find problem.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:34 pm

I ended up pulling the Quatro for the moment and hooked up the decade old beige 2-tuner model. I am currently recording 2 programs simultaneously under exactly the same conditions. 12 Mbps on one tuner and 16 Mbps on the other.

That's pretty hard to explain.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Many things can do that... path may be different, firewall configurations, things grabbing the traffic trying to analyze because they weren't whitelisted, various QoS settings... I have even had several netgear switches refuse to properly connect to a prime while worked fine for a much older unit (the switches also refused connections to a couple of other routers but never another switch or pc but the behavior with other devices cause me to blame the switch not the prime) in analyzing the traffic with a passive device I could see it drop and reset the negotiation to the link just prior to the last step of the dhcp handshake.

I would take 3ton's advice one step further and connect the device directly to a pc and eliminate any routers/switches entirely.

I'm not saying it is impossible that the unit isn't defective but I would eliminate everything else first especially since it seems like something is limiting it to 10Mbps.

Billi23
Device ID: 1323AADB

Post by Billi23 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:55 pm

If it were me, I would...

Make sure it had legit SD Firmware on it

Connect it directly (with a patch cable) to a PC/Laptop using link-local 169.254.0.0/16 addressing. *

Run a network test, optionally saving the resulting .ts file to the PC/Laptop. https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... acket_loss

Verify link speeds using these three
the HDHR web UI
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" 1072FD2E get /sys/debug
Windows Task Manager.

I would also try substituting a power adapter if you have one with the correct specs (did the e-bay unit come with the correct power adapter?)

* The HDHomeRun can be connected directly to a PC via an Ethernet cable and is auto-MDX so does not need a cross-over cable. Configure the PC to use a static IP address in the 169.254.x.y range, e.g. 169.254.1.1, with a network mask of 255.255.0.0. No gateway address or DNS servers are needed. "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" discover will give you its IP address

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:23 am

3ton wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:28 pm
If it was me, I would disconnect everything (Everything). Just have a router, quarto and one wired playback device. No server, no switches, no dvr. See if it that works and then add stuff back till you find problem.
I was able to pull out an old router (Asus RT-N66U) and connect just the Quatro and a laptop and it's getting exactly the same results, can't move total data over 9.5 Mbps.

3ton

Post by 3ton » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:32 am

Return it. Start over.

KryptoNyte

Post by KryptoNyte » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am

Connecting the unit directly to a PC (straight patch cable) doesn't work. Even after setting the static IP and resulting subnet, it constantly cycles from "Enabled, Identifying, to Network cable unplugged."

It came with the correct power adapter. Unfortunately, the barrel size has changed since the old beige units, so no, I don't have another way to test this.

This was an Ebay sale gone bad unfortunately, and wouldn't you know the thing is out of warranty.

3ton

Post by 3ton » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:50 am

If it is within 30 days of delivery from eBay, return it. If the seller does not accept returns, just pick defective and eBay should make them take it back.