Verizon FIOS Not showing full listing of channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mechling-burgh

Verizon FIOS Not showing full listing of channels

Post by mechling-burgh » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Hoping someone can help me Verizon installed FIOS today the TV Tuner box gets the full list of channels. (425 Test Drive Package) The cable card is only showing 105 channels available. I was on the phone with Verizon for almost two hours. They are saying it's the HD Homerun's fault that it's not getting all the channels. I tried to tell them it gets the list from the cable card that the software does not do anything to program the channels. Any idea what to do, if I can't get the channels I'm going to cancel the service.

rpcameron

Re: Verizon FIOS Not showing full listing of channels

Post by rpcameron » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:23 pm

Actually, the Prime does not quite get its lineup from the CableCARD. What it actually does is it gets the list of ALL channels from the CableCARD, then it runs a "channel scan" where it tries to tune each channel listed from the CableCARD. If it can successfully tune the channel within a certain brief period of time, the Prime adds the channel to its internal lineup; if it cannot, it does not add it to the lineup. Sometimes, the Prime may timeout while trying to scan a channel that you do indeed have in your subscription, but since the Prime did not get a lock quickly enough, it doesn't think you get that channel.

(Other CableCARD devices, like those from the T-blank-V-O company that cannot be mentioned here, present all channels on the CableCARD to the user and allows them to manually hide/disable the unsubscribes channels. The Prime thinks it is smarter than you, and so will only rely upon its own channel scan.)

3ton

Post by 3ton » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Do you have a tuning adapter installed to the prime?

mechling-burgh

Post by mechling-burgh » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:41 pm

I actually got it fixed. I called back and got a different support person. This one noticed that even thou it said validated its was throwing an error. He then got some one that actually understood cable cards and was able to rest it. The first support person had no idea what I was talking about and neither did the person she was talking too. Thanks for all your help here guys.