Music Choice / Radio only Channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mayorville

Music Choice / Radio only Channels

Post by mayorville » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:33 pm

I currently have 4 Primes connected and noticed that none of them will detect any of the 30 or so Music Choice and radio channels that are part of my cable subscription. Is there anything that I need to do, to get these to show up in the channel scan ?

Thanks

rpcameron

Re: Music Choice / Radio only Channels

Post by rpcameron » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Make sure you have a tuning adapter if your provider has SDV channels. Also ensure your CableCARD is both authenticated and validated.

I never once had problems with Music Choice channels either being detected or tuned. Also, the tuner doesn't need to scan a channel to attempt to tune it, so as a test try tuning your Music Choice channel manually and see if that works.

mayorville

Post by mayorville » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:13 am

I have Xfinity and no tuning adapter. Where do I go to manually tune in a channel ?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:25 am

He's probably talking about the Windows Setup utility: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe

mayorville

Post by mayorville » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:35 am

I'm in the setup app now and not seeing anything about manually watching a channel

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:32 am

Try seeing if you can get the channel to load in VLC. Bring up the dialog to open a network stream, and use

Code: Select all

http://IPADDRESS:5004/auto/vCHANNEL
where IPADDRESS is the local IP address of your tuner, and CHANNEL is the Music Choice (or other) channel you wish to manually tune. If you are subscribed to the channel, it should open a stream to it, regardless of what shows up with the channel scan on the device.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:45 am

mayorville wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:33 pm
Is there anything that I need to do, to get these to show up in the channel scan ?
If I understand the issue correctly, this is on the "Channel Lineup" page of the tuner?

And, as I recall, this issue has been identified previously (and SD has changed things over the years).

As I understand it, there are a couple of things here. If you run a "Detect Channels" again and again, you will probably find that it will pick up a different (sub)set of the Music Channels. And if you look at the actual MC stream, you will find that the (static) picture that the MC channel uses is only issued once every 5-10 seconds (the picture is initially black, until it shows up some time later), so the channel appears to have no video or is otherwise incomplete, so it may not be added as a proper channel to the scan results. The automated scan, in order to not tie things up for too long, has a very limited time before it stops trying to identify a channel content and moves on to the next channel during detection. So, you will occasionally (statistical) see the needed elements for identification on the channel, but typically not consistently for the MC channels. And the tuner background may eventually catch the MC channel in a mode which it will add it later (background scans happen every few days if the device is otherwise idle). It should be noted that while it is less common, even normal channels occasionally are not identified during a "Detect Channels" scan (sometimes signal/quality levels, sometimes something else).

There have been a few suggestions for a (potentially) optional "very slow but complete" scan (it *could* benefit both these lower bitrate channels, and certain SDV cases). However, it would (likely) take hours (if you spend 30 seconds or so per channel, for a typical Comcast lineup of 800+ channels, that could be over 2 hours (if you can use 3 tuners at once), and that would tie up all 3 tuners during that period (it would take even longer if the number of available tuners for the scan is lower, or you are using SDV, which may further rate limit requests)). Most users don't have the patience (they want instant gratification). It is certainly possible that increasing the current timeout would fix some additional cases, too, although, again, patience. Another proposal was (in effect) a "try harder for *this* channel" request was that if there was a request to access a particular channel using the http://IP:5004/auto/vCHANNEL request, and it succeeded (it apparently has a longer timeout than the normal scan), that channel was added to the "Channel Lineup" pages (since it is now accessible).