Issue with Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
txfrightmare

Issue with Prime

Post by txfrightmare » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 pm

I have two HDH Primes. One is perfect. The other has the following issues:

Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock weak
Card Validation success
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 87% (-8.1 dBmV)
Signal Quality 52% (18.7 dB)

We're on Frontier FIOS. Any help to diagnose this issue would be very welcomed. Thank you!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Issue with Prime

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:03 pm

What is the other one's oob signal like (same page other device)? OOB can work very low but you want it to lock not be weak. Trying to figure out if you have the wrong or unbalanced splitter potentially causing the issue.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:51 pm

txfrightmare wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 pm
We're on Frontier FIOS. Any help to diagnose this issue would be very welcomed. Thank you!
Usually (but not always) FiOS signal levels are quite good, until they are crap (which typically indicates an ONT issue, but that is an all or nothing change). I am going to presume the two HDHRs are next to each other. Since you claim the other HDHR is excellent, swap the cables to the HDHRs, and then separately swap the power supplies to the HDHRs. If the issue follows the cable swap, check the coax, connections, and splitter, and if the issue follows the power supply, you can purchase a replacement power supply at the SiliconDust online shop. If the symptom remains with the particular tuner the next steps for problem diagnosis are more problematic. Let's see if either of the easy steps work (and please provide the levels for both HDHRs).

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:03 pm
What is the other one's oob signal like (same page other device)? OOB can work very low but you want it to lock not be weak. Trying to figure out if you have the wrong or unbalanced splitter potentially causing the issue.
Here is the other Prime:

Card OOB Lock success
Card Validation success
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 100% (11.1 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.2 dB)

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 pm

gtb wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:51 pm
txfrightmare wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:46 pm
Usually (but not always) FiOS signal levels are quite good, until they are crap (which typically indicates an ONT issue, but that is an all or nothing change). I am going to presume the two HDHRs are next to each other. Since you claim the other HDHR is excellent, swap the cables to the HDHRs, and then separately swap the power supplies to the HDHRs. If the issue follows the cable swap, check the coax, connections, and splitter, and if the issue follows the power supply, you can purchase a replacement power supply at the SiliconDust online shop. If the symptom remains with the particular tuner the next steps for problem diagnosis are more problematic. Let's see if either of the easy steps work (and please provide the levels for both HDHRs).
One unit is upstairs. The other unit is downstairs. The upstairs unit is the one that gives me trouble.

I'll try this and get back to you with the results. Thank you!

3ton

Post by 3ton » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:59 pm

You have a 20db swing on the signal level. I would bet it is a splitter or cable that is your problem. I would also check the cable and see if it is rg59. If it is you might consider replacing it with rg6.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:04 pm

My guess would be cabling, splitters, amps etc. As a 20dBmV swing in strength is almost unheard of (almost to the point of a cheap diplexer being used rather than a splitter as a split with one end to prime and then the other to an 8way would only drop 14... and is in line with a split to 4way to prime and then one leg off that 4 way going to 8way). An fm trap might also be a possibility.

But do test off same line.

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:50 am

I bought this splitter and installed it over the weekend.

BAMF Manufacturing
4.6 out of 5 stars 921Reviews
BAMF 2-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz

I have the cable from the wall going in to it. Then the cables going out from it to the HDH and the other going out to the FiOS router.

urbnsr

Post by urbnsr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:22 am

Swapping Primes should let you know if the cable and/or splitter may be the problem.

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm

I changed the cables and didn't get any improvement.

However, I took the splitter out completely and now I only have the cable from the wall going in to the HDH. This is what I'm getting now:

Card OOB Lock weak
Card Validation success
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 93% (-4.3 dBmV)
Signal Quality 56% (19.5 dB)
Channel List cablecard-oob

3ton

Post by 3ton » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm

I am assuming the latest results is on the bad one upstairs. The Signal quality is bad. Take the one with the bad results and install it downstairs with the good one's connections. Get results. If good then you know it is not the prime, but cable or splitter. If cable line to the upstairs is hidden in walls (probably the culprit) then I would install a cable splitter downstairs and and hook both up downstairs. At first try each one at a time using the network cable. If you get good results for both then buy a network switch and leave both hooked up downstairs.

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:48 am

3ton wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm
I am assuming the latest results is on the bad one upstairs. The Signal quality is bad. Take the one with the bad results and install it downstairs with the good one's connections. Get results. If good then you know it is not the prime, but cable or splitter. If cable line to the upstairs is hidden in walls (probably the culprit) then I would install a cable splitter downstairs and and hook both up downstairs. At first try each one at a time using the network cable. If you get good results for both then buy a network switch and leave both hooked up downstairs.
Yes, the results are for the bad one upstairs.

I moved the bad one down stairs. I ran the coax from the wall to a two way splitter, then out from the splitter to both of the HDH's.

I got 100% on both signal quality and strength. But, now it's acting wonky. It seems that it's only pulling tuners from the good unit. If I max out the good unit the other unit doesn't show to have anything active playing. Then playback on the channels doesn't work or it's very laggy and or pixelated. Am I doing something wrong?

3ton

Post by 3ton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Unplug power from the good one. Try it out with only the bad one connected. Post the results of signal and strength. How do you have the network connections setup for the units?

txfrightmare

Post by txfrightmare » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:39 pm

3ton wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:01 pm
Unplug power from the good one. Try it out with only the bad one connected. Post the results of signal and strength. How do you have the network connections setup for the units?
The bad one works perfect by itself.

The network is flat layer 2 with all devices on it.

3ton

Post by 3ton » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Good to hear. I am not a network expert, but I asked the question because you said laggy. It sounds like not enough bandwidth or bad switch if you had both connected to the same switch. I would look into how the units are connected to the network. Try different cables. But laggy can be-caused by lots of things. I would also make sure to download the latest apps and firmware. If your using the hdhomerun app, Restart the app or device after you get both units connected to the network.