Xfinity CableCARD DRM flag

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
doomedtx

Xfinity CableCARD DRM flag

Post by doomedtx » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 pm

I recently noticed some of my MythTV recordings recordings were zero-byte. When I went back to look at the channel list on the HDHR Prime web page, I saw multiple channels with the DRM flag. They have this flag turned on not only for the Encore/Starz channels that are part of my package, but also channels that are broadcast over the air like PBS Kids and the local MyTV station. After reading some other posts, I tried re-scanning the channels, but the DRM flag remains. Since 100% of the channels are encrypted here, I have to either do without the channels or setup a separate OTA tuner for the local stations I'm missing.

Before I write these channels off and remove them from MythTV's setup, is there any point in asking Xfinity to turn off the copy once flag? I understand the nature of the flag, that SD has to honor it even if a ClearQAM tuner doesn't, etc...just looking to see if it's worth calling to have customer service turn off the flags. In case it matters, this is in ZIP 30184 in an area that uses Cisco CableCARDs.

gtb
Expert

Re: Xfinity CableCARD DRM flag

Post by gtb » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 pm

doomedtx wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 pm
is there any point in asking Xfinity to turn off the copy once flag?
It is (usual) Comcast corporate policy that most channels (other than the premiums), and certainly including the regular OTA be marked copy-freely. You should ask Comcast to change the settings. However, the local office, and likely anyone you get via phone or chat will likely have no idea what you are talking about (the technical details of how services are delivered are typically out of their background). An approach that has worked for others is to post to Comcast directly either via their own forum, or the Comcast Direct forum on DSLReports, or via one/more of their social media contact points (facebook, twitter, reddit, ???). If all else fails contact the Comcast corporate escalations team.

Note that the changes have to percolate up through their contact teams, and then down to the local TV engineering offices (where such flagging settings are made), with the usual evaluation of the requests, and putting the changes into the change queue for approval, scheduling the actual updates, etc.. Sometimes that can take longer than one would like.

I would recommend trying to identify all the channels that are not marked copy-freely (which other than the premiums is pretty much everything in Comcast) so that you can make one comprehensive request, since even though it is not unusual that once the request makes it through the process the local engineering team will look for other errors, there is no assurance they will see them all.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 am

What worked for me was to file a complaint with the FCC. See viewtopic.php?f=116&t=71741#p348371

doomedtx

Post by doomedtx » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try the Comcast forum first, and If I don't get any traction I'll consider the FCC since about half of the copy-protected channels are OTA.