Symbol Quality Bouncing

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
kevinl

Symbol Quality Bouncing

Post by kevinl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 pm

I have a Connect Quatro HDHR5-4US with reception that has been solid for a year until recently.

12.1 WJTV-HD in Jackson, MS is one channel that is giving me trouble. The channel has signal strength of 93%, signal quality of 100%, symbol quality of 100% and then every 30 sec or so the symbol quality drops to 2-9% and goes back to 100%. Roku app will drop tuning when the symbol quality bounces.

3.1 WLBT-DT in Jackson, MS another channel. Although I haven't noticed any pixelation or any drops in signal or symbol quality. The Roku app will randomly drop tuning. It has been playing fine with my wireless Fire TV. Signal strength is round 75%, Signal Quality 81%, Symbol Quality 100%.

Other channels are solid with everything above or at the 75% threshold. I haven't noticed the Roku app dropping tuning with other channels but I can't completely rule out. I have only noticed it on these two channels so far.

My setup is a Clearstream 2MAX antenna in the attic and is connected without any boosters into the HDHomerun. I replaced the coax cable between the HDHomerun and the antenna and that did not fix the issues.

I have been using a Roku TV connected using ethernet to my router. I have recently switch over to my Fire TV now that the Roku app has been unusable with the random tuning drops.

Thanks.

kevinl

Re: Symbol Quality Bouncing

Post by kevinl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Ran channel scan and tuned to channels for more than 10 min. Enabled diagnostic information sending.
Device ID: 107598EF
Firmware: 20190621

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 pm

kevinl wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a Connect Quatro HDHR5-4US with reception that has been solid for a year until recently.

12.1 WJTV-HD in Jackson, MS is one channel that is giving me trouble. The channel has signal strength of 93%, signal quality of 100%, symbol quality of 100% and then every 30 sec or so the symbol quality drops to 2-9% and goes back to 100%. Roku app will drop tuning when the symbol quality bounces.
That sounds like the 30-second dropout problem that affected the early models up to the HDHR3. SD came up with a fix for the HDHR3 but not for the earlier models. The HDHR4 was unaffected. It's possible that the 5th gen series has the problem again. If you have another tuner such as a digital TV, try that. You'll probably find the channel plays fine.

The real cause of the old problem was a failure of the station to properly wire up a particular make and model of transmitter. That caused a slight change in output level every 30 seconds or so. It didn't affect most receivers so the stations were usually unaware of it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Have you tried adjusting the antenna? WJTV is broadcasting on VHF, while everything else in your area is UHF. The ClearStream 2MAX is more directional on UHF than it is on VHF, so you could be picking up some sort of dynamic multipath that is worse on WJTV than it is on the other stations.

kevinl

Post by kevinl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try moving the antenna and report back what I find.

kevinl

Post by kevinl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 am

I adjusted the antenna and it did not resolve the issue. Any suggestions on what I should try next? Maybe try another antenna or replacing the power supply to my Connect Quatro? Reception and the Roku app was working perfectly for several months until recently which is why I'm wondering if it could be the power supply. I've already replaced the coax between the antenna and Connect Quatro.

I've noticed that sometimes (especially 3.1 WLBT) channels with good reception randomly loses tuning with the Roku app and kick out to channel selection menu although this could be a separate issue from everything. I haven't experienced this issue with FireTV/Android and Windows 10 apps.

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Is there any pattern to when the signal quality drops? Where I live, the landing path for one of the nearby airports crosses directly above the path between me and the broadcast towers, and the planes are just a few hundred feet up since the airport is only a few miles away. Every time a plane flies over, the broadcast signals bounce off it and give me a reception glitch on everything I own, especially on the VHF channel on any of the antennas that are just rabbit ears for VHF. It took a lot of work and a new antenna to find a perfect position to get the best reception.

The Roku video player has zero tolerance for anything less than what it defines as a perfect signal. It will crash if you look at it funny.