HDHR4-2DT not working and old Firmware

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Rau

HDHR4-2DT not working and old Firmware

Post by Rau » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi - I have just installed a HDHR4-2DT I bought a few years back. It's firmware version is 20161117 which:
- my.hdhomerun.com tells me is old / unsatisfactory firmware (red X);
- seems to be the latest firmware available.
When I click to update the firmware, I get a web error 404 Page Not Found.

When I rund the App on my Windows 10 machine, it recognises the device. "Discover" presents a bunch of available programs. But attempts to watch anything produce a 'black' screen.

Help!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR4-2DT not working and old Firmware

Post by signcarver » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:50 pm

There have been a number of updates in the past 3 years including things meant for work with the app. I believe the "current" version for you model, if you plan on using the DVR, should be 20190715beta1 (which one would get with the 20190815beta1 package... since you mentioned windows, get the full software package... if you are only interested in firmware once you get on anything after 20170815 the device can update itself (to release, which is currently 20190621).

Though there may be a problem with the firmware and the current app, as there have been some fixes to make things go smoother, I don't believe that is where your problem is. If you did happen to get the full package of the windows software, double check that it didn't also install the DVR (if you don't plan on using it, though the app can use such even if not subscribed to buffer live tv)because if the DVR engine is on the same system you may need the latest beta as there was a recent issue with a windows update, as well as needing to run the loopback fix so the app can actually play from the dvr engine on the same machine (it will try to use the engine for live tv if an engine is detected but the app can't use the engine on the same windows 10 machine without the loopback fix).

I would also probably state your region as there may be some idiosyncrasies with various codecs used in different regions (i.e. some machines may have some trouble with EAC3 (audio) and/or mpeg2 or hevc (video) which may also depend on computer/video card.

Rau

Post by Rau » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:27 pm

I've acquired and run the HDHomerun setup utility and that seems to have caused the firmware to upgrade to 20190621.

The inability to watch Live TV remains. After a long enough wait (I went to lunch....) I came back and found "Unable to play channel: Play restart required" on the screen.

I am located in Australia. I do intend to move to the DVR. It does appear as though I can record / schedule programs for recording - though I don't know why that would be as I've not consciously acquired the DVR etc. I just connected the hardware and downloaded the Windows App. At various times, I'll get a message "Your HDHomeRun DVR wasn't found" on the screen. Under Account Information in the app it says "DVR active No".

I have used HDHomerun devices with Windows Media Centre for years. That needs to come to an end.

Ahhh.....real-time update. Live TV is working (I think). The problem could be the following. In addition to the device I mentioned, I have an older device installed (HDHR3-DT) - which is used on my old Windows7/WMC installation. So I've depowered that device, and now LiveTV on the new unit is working. Perhaps that old unit was being being accessed by the new software (on my Win10 machine) but lacked the necessary functionality / capability to work properly??

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Your old unit to possibly work, will need to be on recent firmware and a channel scan run from the windows hdhomerun setup program. The tuner will also need internet access as the lineup will be hosted by sd rather than the device itself. 4th gen or newer tuners (as well as prime and expand which are/can be 3rd gen) maintain the lineup themselves.