No HDHomeRun detected, but 1 device(s) found?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
danielearwicker

No HDHomeRun detected, but 1 device(s) found?

Post by danielearwicker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi, I just received my new HDHomeRun Connect Duo. Unfortunately my router and my TV antenna socket are in different rooms (actually on different floors!) So I am trying to setup with the device plugging into my Mac Mini directly.

I followed these instructions: viewtopic.php?t=4088

I also downloaded the latest software for MacOS and ran the installer. It finished by displaying in a terminal:
Probing for devices:
0: 1241EB8D firmware 20190621
1 device(s) found

1241EB8D(hdhomerun5_dvbt) is already running the latest firmware

Upgrade results:
0: 1241EB8D firmware 20190621
1 device(s) found

Finished.
The HDHomeRun application can be found in your Applications folder
(You can close this window now)
The ethernet socket on the device is now showing only a solid green light, not flashing.

But when I visit http://my.hdhomerun.com/ it displays the message:
No HDHomeRun detected. Please connect the HDHomeRun to your router and refresh the page.
Is this kind of direct connection still supported? Are there any other ways I can trick it into letting me set up the device to scan for channels etc? Am I likely to hit further problems if I try to use it from Plex etc.?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: No HDHomeRun detected, but 1 device(s) found?

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Not being found on my.hdhomerun.com would usually be expected when hooked up as such and most likely wouldn't have any guide either even after a scan. In some cases the browser itself will still balk at the idea of connecting to a local resource from a remote page.

Make sure the device itself has internet access (I believe the mac does allow internet connection sharing from system preferences but have not tried such with a mac, in some cases such sharing may need a dhcp server and the ethernet port configured appropriately, though I believe the connection sharing may do so on its own).

To run a scan go to the device's web page directly (of course you will need to know the address assigned to it, I believe hdhomerun_config is still on the mac (though have heard config_gui hasn't been updated for modern mac os so may have been removed)

danielearwicker

Re: No HDHomeRun detected, but 1 device(s) found?

Post by danielearwicker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks, I resumed experimenting tonight, and ran hdhomerun_config discover. This printed the IP address. When I visited it in my browser it showed me that it had in fact performed a channel scan at some point by itself. And then I ran the HDConnect app on the same computer and it also detected it, and I was able to watch channels.

So I don't know if just leaving it overnight fixed it, or running the discover command!

But I can report that this config works really well. I'm now using it through Plex, works great once I enabled deinterlacing and hardware accelleration.