Channel Detection HDHomeRun Connect DUO vs HDHomeRun Dual

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
n8dagr8

Channel Detection HDHomeRun Connect DUO vs HDHomeRun Dual

Post by n8dagr8 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:56 pm

I have been using my HDHomeRun Dual (HDHR3-US, Device ID: 103D720D) and decided to upgrade to the HDHomeRun Connect DUO (Model: HDHR5-2US Device ID: 10606B21) so that I could use it with my Plex account and server. When transitioning, I discovered that the DUO detects/receives less channels than my dual does. I used the same cables to each device and the dual continually finds more channels. I then used a splitter to send the signal to both devices simultaneously, and have the same results. I would have expected the newer device to find the same if not more channels than the older device.

Would there be something wrong with the new device?

Is there a way to use the HDHomeRun to measure signal strength of missing channels?

Thanks,

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Channel Detection HDHomeRun Connect DUO vs HDHomeRun Dual

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:14 pm

The signal strength on the missing channel is 48%, below the threshold of having any reasonable expectation of receiving the channel.

You can use the hdhomerun_config_gui program in c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun to monitor the signal levels. The channel you're seeing the difference on is 22.

n8dagr8

Post by n8dagr8 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Jason: Thanks. While the signal strength may be at 48%, I can stream the channel fine through the Dual - The symbol maintains 100% and looks fine on all of my devices. Is there any way to force the DUO to allow me to view channel 22?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 pm

You'd have to improve your signal on it to the point where it can lock. Adjust your antenna while monitoring the signal on that channel using Config GUI to see if you can find a better spot.