Pixelation on 2 chanels only with Quatro

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
SteveMcD

Pixelation on 2 chanels only with Quatro

Post by SteveMcD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:34 am

Hello -

I am in the Los Angeles area using a outdoor mounted antenna and the HDHomerun Quatro.
I connect the outdoor antenna to the HDHomeRun as well as direct to the TV set tunner.

When viewing broadcast TV with the HDHomeRun 2 channels (7.1 and 7.3 which are KABC and LAFF) are really pixelated.
However, when viewing the broadcast TV directly to the TV tuner there is no pixelation and the channel is quite good.

Many other channels with the HDHomeRun are great and very viewable with a PC app or phone app. However, not these 2 channels.

I have tried re-scanning the channels with the HDHomeRun and it picks up the channel but again it is still very pixelated.

Note sure what the issue is here. It would seem that the HDHomeRun is causing some issue...... Since I can view the same channel direct to the TV.

Any ideas what could be wrong?>

thank you

Steve

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Pixelation on 2 chanels only with Quatro

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on the HDHomeRun and run a channel scan (https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

SteveMcD

Post by SteveMcD » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm

Than ks for the reply.

I have done what you stated and followed the instructions in the link.
This time when doing the channel scan, I used the HDHomeRun Setup program (Windows 10). Before I had used a Browser.
After scanning with the Windows App (instead of the browser), it did pull the channel in somewhat better. Note sure why.
But there is still pixelation where the antenna going direct to the TV does not show any pixelation.

My Device ID = 107809C1

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards
Steve

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 pm

The signal quality on that channel is quite low, right around the minimum threshold. What kind of antenna are you using?

SteveMcD

Post by SteveMcD » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

I am using a Wineguard outdoor antenna mounted to my side of the house. It is on the 2nd story part of the eve so quite high.. and not really anything in the way.
When performing the channel scan I pickup 168 channels.

**update** tonight I did not get the channel (abc-7.1 - Los Angeles area) so I performed a rescan with the quatro. It did not find the channel and so was not included in the scan.
However, I can change the input on the TV to tune the channel directly and it comes in fine and clear (using the TV tuner).
Here are the signal diagnostics using the TV tuner for this particular channel:
Signal Strength = 77
Freq: 177Mhz
Modulation = 8VSB
Errors = 0
SNR = 22
IF-AGC = 112%

So this goes back to the original question - it would seem that something happens with the quatro tuner but the TV tuner directly works fine. It is the same antenna in both.

This seems quite strange to me ...

Thank you for any help
Steve

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Which Winegard antenna?

SteveMcD

Re: Pixelation on 2 chanels only with Quatro [SOLVED]

Post by SteveMcD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:44 pm

It seems that I have now solved the problem.

I have a few different cable drops in my home. I thought that the drop I was using was good since it was connected to my router at one point (since changed and not needed for internet or TV).
I placed the HDHomeRun at a different place and using a different cable drop (near the TV which got good signal). It now seems to work good. The missing/pixelated channels now come in fine.
After I confirmed that this worked good, I added a small antenna amplifier in the line and was able to get 2 additional channels (9.1, 9.2 in LA area). The 2 extra channels are nice but wondering if I am harming with the amp.

TI am curious what is the minimum signal quality and strength that is required for the HDHomeRun?

I am now getting 98% Quality and 87% or 88% strength using the "signal GH" app for the iPhone. I am just wondering what the numbers are required for the HDHomeRun.

My channels now also start quicker - I assume due to better signal.

Thank you for your time and ideas/help! Much appreciated.

Steve

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:54 pm

There is a noticeable improvement in signal quality since you made the move, and a bit more with the amplifier. You're fine with the amplifier, it's not overloading anything.

Signal strength you might get reception down to around 50%, but 60 or better is preferred. Signal quality, 50 is the drop-dead point. 70 or better is higher so you have some headroom to accommodate normal fluctuations in the quality.

SteveMcD

Post by SteveMcD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated. The HomeRun is a pretty cool device.

Regards
Steve