Use cable box composite output as video source

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
bhelman

Use cable box composite output as video source

Post by bhelman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm trying to ~emulate the functionality I used to get from a slingbox. I have a DirecTV Genie Mini that has HDMI and composite out. I connected the composite to a composite-to-rf converter (channel 3) and tried connecting it to my HD Homerun Extend. Performing a channel search (cable or air) didn't find it. I have not verified the signal is exiting the converter yet. That's my next step, but I'm assuming the Extend would have picked up something even if the video content isn't getting passed.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

rpcameron

Re: Use cable box composite output as video source

Post by rpcameron » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 pm

You need to mux the video into an ATSC or ClearQAM stream in order for the tuner to see it. I believe there's a program for gnuradio using an SDR (like an RTL-SDR) to handle first the muxing of the signal, and then the radio to output the stream.

Honestly, it's WAY more trouble than it's worth to do it this way. If you are going to use this manner, you are better off using a converter box to take the signal using a video capture card/device into the computer and bypass the tuner. (Almost in the same way that you used to be able to connect a cable box to your computer with a FireWire connection.)