How to control which HDHR tunes a particular broadcast channel

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
scott784

How to control which HDHR tunes a particular broadcast channel

Post by scott784 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I have a question about how I control which “separate” HDHR will tune any particular broadcast channel for over the air television. In order for my question to make sense, let me give some background first.

I recently purchased a HDHR Duo Scribe and a separate HDHR Duo (non-scribe). Although I really didn’t need a total of four tuners, I did this deliberately because I have access to two separate television markets (one to my south and one to my east). I have installed two “separate” antennas in my attic (one facing east) (one facing south). These antennas are completely separate from one another in “every” way (separate coax lines down to each respective HDHR in the house). They are simply joined together via ethernet over my home network inside my home. I did it this way in order to ensure I could get the strongest broadcast signals from each respective TV market that I am able to receive without compromising on signal strength.

I should also add that I have installed the HDHomeRun Config Gui program along with the HDHR app on all my computer so that I can view the signal percentages and quality percentages. I also deleted the appropriate channels that were too weak to decode from each respective/separate HDHR using the myhdhomerun website by clicking on the appropriate channel and making it change to a “red X mark” as appropriate for each separate HDHR. However, for some channels in which both separate antennas can decode without a problem, I left those channels in the lineup on each HDHR. So for my strongest channels, I have a total of four tuners available at any given time based on my two separate HDHRs that are hooked together through the ethernet in my home. And for my very weakest channels, I only have two tuners available since I deleted those very weak channels from the HDHR Duo that is not pointed in the direction of that TV market.

That said, for the duplicate channels that are being received (successfully) by each respective HDHR (for which I have not deleted the channel from either HDHR), how do I ensure my devices will always tune (by default) using the appropriate HDHR that is hooked up to the antenna facing in the direction of that particular TV market? This becomes more relevant, especially when recordings are set up as I always want the HDHR(s) to choose one of the tuners (from the appropriate HDHR) that is receiving the channel with the strongest signal with its antenna facing that TV market.

I should add, that I am familiar with how to delete a channel entirely (placing the red x in the box on the channel lineup within the HDHomeRun Congig Gui program. But, my question just relates to attempting to control which HDHR will choose to tune into any particular channel when that channel has "not" been deleted from “either” HDHR? I noticed that I can highlight a channel (with the respective HDHR and its channel lineup) and place a yellow star next to the channel on one HDHR versus the other. But that doesn’t seem to do anything. Logic tells that that placing a favorite (yellow star) in the channel lineup (beside a particular channel) should make the HDHR app “default” to the appropriate HDHR for which the favorite was placed. But highlighting favorites doesn’t seem to do anything.

Right now, when I run a test, is seems each channel (no matter which separate TV market) seems to use my HDHR Duo Scribe versus my HDHR Duo (non-scribe) to tune the channel (no matter which TV market). The only exception (to what I’ve just said) are the channels that I completely blocked from the Scribe. And only when I tune to those channels – the HDHR app will finally switch over and start using my HDHR Duo (non-Scribe model). It seems kind of strange.

This is a long winded post for a question that should be simple, but I wanted to ensure I am making myself very clear about what I am asking. I am new with HDHR but I am learning more each day. Thanks for any replies and insight into this matter.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: How to control which HDHR tunes a particular broadcast channel

Post by signcarver » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 pm

There is no such control other than using the red x to disable (though in theory it is based on deviceID with lowest being preferred as that "usually" puts OTA ahead of cable with the primes, but I haven't seen that being "consistent", many have asked that such be configurable by ip (reservation) and I believe the scribe will always first attempt its own tuners)... but if you are trying to ensure which market network is chosen, assuming they are on at the same time, you can usually get away with favoriting the more local market as it will choose that channel (note it does not favorite by device, only channel number and any device with that number is fair game). Also note that if both markets have the same virtual channel number you may have issues with the guide as the system only supports one channel of the same virtual number.

scott784

Re: How to control which HDHR tunes a particular broadcast channel

Post by scott784 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks for your reply. I get reception from two separate/distinct TV markets that are in different directions from each other, but there are no virtual channel numbers that match each other. Matching virtual channels is not an issue (fortunately). And just to note here, I use OTA only with no cable.

But you do bring up an interesting point about the network apparently defaulting to the Scribe tuner(s) (first) before it attempts to tune any channel from my non-scribe HDHR. And upon further observation using the HDHR Config GUI, I can see that happening. In other words, as long as the tuner(s) are available, the Scribe "seems" to come first as far as tuning, no matter whether we are talking in market or out of market channels. Note: I've got my HDHR Duo "Scribe" set up primarily for my in-market channels (with its own attic antenna facing "East" towards my true locals). And I've got a separate HDHR Duo ("non"-scribe) primarily set up for my out of market channels (with its own dedicated antenna facing "South"). Both of the HDHRs are completely separate from one another (with their own dedicated coax lines). I did this deliberately in an effort to get the best reception from every station that I am capable of receiving at my location. There's no wiring between the two at all with the exception of the ethernet in my home which allows each HDHR to "see" each other over the network.

So this is interesting that my Scribe seems to be tuning all the channels (in market and out of market) by default before the non-Scribe makes any attempt to tune any particular channel. But I've got a couple of out of market channels (to my South) that are too weak to be seen (hardly at all) by my Scribe (again - which is pointed East to my true locals). So I've deleted a couple of out of market channels out of my Scribe to "force" the network to use my "non-scribe" HDHR Duo tuner(s) that I set up for out of market channels to my South. Other out of market channels (that are a bit stronger), I left available in both HDHRs. But, again, unless a channel is completely deleted out of a HDHR, it "seems" the Scribe is the default tuner for whatever reasons. I wished I had more control over the default HDHR (tuner) for each of my channels, but perhaps it won't matter. Just kind of weird stuff here. If there is further control, perhaps someone can let me know here.

I have made one other observation in the short time I've had my HDHR setup. For the out of market channels that I did "not" delete from either HDHR, I seem to be getting good signal readings from the out of market channels from my "Scribe". And as stated, my "Scribe" is hooked up to the antenna pointed to my East for my "in-market" stations (not the South to my out of market stations). So this is weird. Before using HDHR, it was always required that I have (and use) an antenna facing South for my out of market channels. This was the only way to reliably get all of those longer range out of market stations to my South. But now, it's almost as though the HDHR Duo "Scribe" (my so called default tuner) (hooked up to the antenna facing East to my true locals) is somehow "seeing" the better signal from my other HDHR and somehow giving good signal readings. The only "tweaks" I've made is completely deleting a couple of my out of market channels out of my Scribe in order to "force" the network to only tune those weaker channels from the non-scribe HDHR Duo ("but" only a couple of them - I've left other out of market channels available to "both" HDHRs).

No complaints here and I am thankful everything is working okay. It's just some weird stuff that does not seem to be behaving in the manner in which I would have expected. Any further insight from anyone is appreciated. I guess my biggest question remains: Is the complete deletion of channel(s) out of any particular HDHR the only way to control (and force) the other HDHR to be used (tuned)? And second question: how am I getting relatively strong signals on my out of market long range stations on my Scribe tuner (for the out of market stations "not" deleted from the Scribe) when this Scribe tuner is "not" the HDHR that has the antenna facing that market? Just trying to gain some insight here into what appears to be weird behavior.

Thanks for any additional replies.