HDhomerun static IP

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
adrianwi

HDhomerun static IP

Post by adrianwi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:19 am

My AirPort Extreme router is on the blink, and isn't assigning IP addresses for any wired connections.

I've been able to connect to all of my other wired devices and manually set the network (e.g. IP, Subnet, Gateway) but I can't find anyway to do this on my HDhomerun. Surely there is a way to manually configure this thing?

Thanks

rpcameron

Re: HDhomerun static IP

Post by rpcameron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:29 am

adrianwi wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:19 am
My AirPort Extreme router is on the blink, and isn't assigning IP addresses for any wired connections.

I've been able to connect to all of my other wired devices and manually set the network (e.g. IP, Subnet, Gateway) but I can't find anyway to do this on my HDhomerun. Surely there is a way to manually configure this thing?

Thanks
No. Only the TECH tuners allow manually setting network settings. All other HDHR tuners ONLY use DHCP for network configuration.

adrianwi

Post by adrianwi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reply.

That will just be a paperweight until I get around to another router. I've been holding off until WiFi6 routers were a little more common and I had a wider choice.

Any recommendations if anyone has one here?

3ton

Post by 3ton » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm

You might try dhcp reservation for the mac address and see if it might work.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Just about anything on your network can become a DHCP server. A quick google shows people having good luck with this: http://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/

adrianwi

Post by adrianwi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:23 am

Yes, almost all of my devices have a DHCP reservation in the AirPort based on the MAC address, but that's not working anymore.

I'll look into a DHCP server on my network. I run a FreeNAS box, so might be able to run something in a Jail until I've got more time and choices in the WiFi6 device market.

Thanks

adrianwi

Post by adrianwi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 am

Although I did manage to get a DHCP server running on my FreeNAS box, trying to get that working while the AirPort did NAT beat me.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought a new router and guess what - the same problem, which led me to test some other things. Turns out it was a managed switch on my network that was causing the problem, which has now been replaced.

Everything is working nicely again and the new router is going back.

Thanks for the suppport