some channels missing

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
rykr

Re: some channels missing

Post by rykr »

jasonl wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:39 pm
The sending of diagnostic data turned itself of after 10 days. Can you re-enable it and rerun the scan there so I can see what the signal looks like?
Scanning now . Tuner id = 13181F93

rykr

Post by rykr »

Yes I'm still missing several. I didn't even complete comparing it to the Comcast channel guide and I had 5 or 6 channels that were not present on one of my tuners. How can these channels play via VLC off the tuner but somehow when it scans it misses them?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

CableCARDs were never meant to be scanned they were meant to have a guide to provide the lineup and/or just use the map for all and the "client" simply passes along the channel request. Unfortunately SD requires the scan to find subscription status and deliver a guide catered to such results. A much better approach would be some mechanism to allow adding of missing channels (name would require one to use the correct name which typically it already has when you ?show=all ) but personally i would prefer it to behave more along the lines of it adding all and one manually disabling channels but at one time their competitor had told me that sdv channels could also not reliably provide channel/name unlike the regular cablecard map so it was always best to use a guide with the name/number and deal with a request not tuning in the client (displaying some error instead of black screen)

rykr

Post by rykr »

signcarver wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm
CableCARDs were never meant to be scanned they were meant to have a guide to provide the lineup and/or just use the map for all and the "client" simply passes along the channel request. Unfortunately SD requires the scan to find subscription status and deliver a guide catered to such results. A much better approach would be some mechanism to allow adding of missing channels (name would require one to use the correct name which typically it already has when you ?show=all ) but personally i would prefer it to behave more along the lines of it adding all and one manually disabling channels but at one time their competitor had told me that sdv channels could also not reliably provide channel/name unlike the regular cablecard map so it was always best to use a guide with the name/number and deal with a request not tuning in the client (displaying some error instead of black screen)
I totally agree. I would love it if I could just open up my.hdhomerun.com and edit my channel lineup to add in the missing channels.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

When the scan runs, it waits up to 10 seconds for the tuner to get a lock. If it doesn't lock in that time, it marks it as no signal and moves on to the next. Normally when there's a good signal it should lock in less than 1 second, so if it hasn't locked after 10 seconds it's never going to. For some reason, it's just having trouble locking on a couple of the frequencies even though they appear to have a good signal. Wondering if maybe it's a power supply issue, since the scan probably draws more power than any other use of the device, and both devices are pretty old at this point. Do you have another supply you can test with? It needs to be exactly 5V and at least 2A.

rykr

Post by rykr »

jasonl wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm
When the scan runs, it waits up to 10 seconds for the tuner to get a lock. If it doesn't lock in that time, it marks it as no signal and moves on to the next. Normally when there's a good signal it should lock in less than 1 second, so if it hasn't locked after 10 seconds it's never going to. For some reason, it's just having trouble locking on a couple of the frequencies even though they appear to have a good signal. Wondering if maybe it's a power supply issue, since the scan probably draws more power than any other use of the device, and both devices are pretty old at this point. Do you have another supply you can test with? It needs to be exactly 5V and at least 2A.
I'll look at that. I have several PS around here. Strange though that this scanning issue would affect both primes. Can't say I would expect a PS issue on both at the same time.

bukzin

Post by bukzin »

Would you update us on this issue?

Was it ever resolved? If so, how?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

jasonl wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm
When the scan runs, it waits up to 10 seconds for the tuner to get a lock. If it doesn't lock in that time, it marks it as no signal and moves on to the next.
Does the scan (after lock) then wait the additional (up to) 5+ seconds to receive its first video image (and more if there are packet or sequence errors)? I am not going to defend how it is done (nor argue about the standards non-compliance that such real world environments actually exhibit), but years ago when I was dumping the transport stream there are some (the Music Choice channels were the poster child) where there was just one image (a full I-frame) sent every 5 (or so) seconds, which could easily confuse scans (not just the SD ones) which expected video to happen much more often.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Even if it doesn't pick up the video it should still be receiving audio and consider it a valid channel.

rykr

Post by rykr »

bukzin wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 pm
Would you update us on this issue?

Was it ever resolved? If so, how?
never resolved. it's it or miss. I can do two back to back scans and one time it will find 400+ channels and the next it might only find 380 channels. Right now channel 1002 is only found on one of the primes. Have no idea what is causing it.

rykr

Post by rykr »

This has never been resolved. I just updated to the latest firmware. Did a new scan on both and it dropped out WKRN 1002 from both. And I had things scheduled to record on that channel later tonight. :(

rykr

Post by rykr »

I've now tried moving the primes. Different coax cables. Wrapping them in aluminum foil. nothing. I still have key channels that simply will not be found by the channel scan even though they work perfectly. I can do http://[ip of prime]:5004/auto/v1002 and the channel streams without any issue. starts almost instantly but the channel scan will simply not see it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

After you do that with VLC, I would look at details of that channel tuned to check out quality and frequency. If you have a TA, I would keep it playing and then try to run the scan on the other device. If you don't have a TA and it tunes that quickly from VLC (or other), is there any chance that the channel is clear qam as the only other thing I can think of is that a not subscribed is reported and perhaps the scan picks that up too quickly.

rykr

Post by rykr »

ok, I don't have a TA. I tuned the channel with vlc and it starts within 1-2 seconds. very fast. Here are the stats:

Virtual Channel 1002 WKRNDT
Frequency 153.000 MHz
Program Number 3
Authorization subscribed
CCI Protection unrestricted
Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 100% (7.8 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.1 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 4.453 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.1.188

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We've had other reports of PRIME users missing only channel 1002, and we'll try to see what we can find out. The fact that it's happening with two different users should help us find the cause.