Channel scan not picking up new channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jachin99

Channel scan not picking up new channels

Post by jachin99 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm

I subscribed to a movie channel pack on Cox. I can view the new channels on on the Cox web app but for whatever reason my tuners aren't picking them up on a channel scan. I tried rebooting the tuners so far. What else can I do?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Channel scan not picking up new channels

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

If you have access to WMC (preferably windows 7 and make sure it can handle drm channels properly) try it with that as it doesn't use scans... If it works there, keep trying to get it in with the scan as the TA can be temperamental I often have to use 3 or 4 STBs to tune some channels to make sure a scan picks it up as it times out too quickly.

If it doesn't work with wmc, you have to get cox to load the channel package to the cablecard. Occasionally the TA may not be provisioned correctly either.

If you don't have access to wmc, try tuning the channel "manually" with vlc... last I checked one could still do that, even with a DRM channel just be sure to "copy" a link from a drm channel then substitute the channel number you want... though you won't get an image because of DRM, you should be able to check the logs and see if it "worked" vs not subscribed, not available, etc.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the help. I tried resetting both the tuners, and SDV but had no luck so far. I also tried manually tuning the channel via JRiver, which at least supports direct channel entry but I'm not sure if it would be the same as WMC, or VLC. I'm also on the phone with the cable company right now to double check.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am

I called the cable company and they said they added the channels to my cablecard. I grabbed VLC, and could not tune to the channels. Before I had my cox routed through a surge protector, and I have removed that from my signal chain as well. I'm still not having much luck with this. What else can I do?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Did you re-run the scan after they added the channels? VLC probably won't tell you anything useful. Most Cox areas DRM all channels, and even if you're one of the ones that doesn't, movie channels like HBO and Showtime would still be DRMed, and VLC won't work with DRM channels.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:41 pm

I don't have much as far as DRM goes. Even in the view app, and on the tuner's web page I don't see the channels.

EDIT: I have scanned, reset the TA, and Tuners, etc. multiple times as well.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data, reboot the HDHomeRun, wait 2 minutes, and run a channel scan (https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and which channel numbers should be coming in but aren't and we will check the logs.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Any movie channel pack should have DRM on Cox (and most markets have DRM on a lot more).

What I meant above about using VLC was to use it to ask the tuner to tune a channel that it didn't pick up in the scan... most likely it won't play the channel as it would be DRM. For instance (and I did test such out tonight with latest firmware to make sure this wasn't closed off) if you use

Code: Select all

http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/vXXXX?CONTENTPROTECTIONTYPE=DTCP1&DTCP1HOST=<ip-of-tuner>&DTCP1PORT=8888 
(where XXXX is the virtual channel number you should get, I suggest copying an existing DRM URL from a DRM channel number on the lineup page then edit the number after v) The purpose of such is to see if the device "can" tune the channel (if you don't use the extra content protection stuff, it may close due to DRM faster than it responds subscribed (as well as subscribed/not subscribed errors)

For instance for me, the scan is always missing on average 120 of my channels (240 if you count the TA actually has them available as 2 different numbers). This isn't a problem with WMC as it simply requests the channels and does not rely on the scan. But when setting up newer installs for people I couldn't tell if it was an issue with the scan or an issue with subscription status/card provisioning. If one has WMC, just use that to tune (and since it handles DRM, will actually play). The problem is "everyone" is on windows 10 now so I needed a way to tell the tuner to tune the channel anyway that would keep the stream open to check things out and the above works for me. If it can tune the channel, there won't be an error in the log and the issue is in the scan. If it can't tune the channel, there would be errors. Occasionally one still may get some SDV errors that doesn't confirm either.

For instance currently one of my primes does not pull in the cooking channel on the scan. However using the above method, I can see that the status shows the tuner "happily" streaming such request and that the log shows

Code: Select all

20190910-05:17:43 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 134 COOKH
20190910-05:17:43 Tuner: tuner0 streaming http to 192.168.0.xx:41228
20190910-05:17:43 CableCARD: tuner0 134 COOKH access = subscribed

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:32 am

I enabled diagnostics, reset the tuner and waited a few minutes to do a channel scan. My device ID is 131cee86 . I opened VLC and tried to tune a few channels. I had mixed results. For example I got the tuner to tune to 1204, 1192, and 1100 but I don't think I could get a picture in VLC. The device would not tune to 1100, 100, 1180, and 1191. I manually tuned to 1211 and got a picture in VLC. I use emby and jriver, and most of my channels do not have DRM. For a time, I was subscribed to HBO, STZ, etc. and the H264 versions of these didn't include DRM either. I added the movie pack because its only five bucks a month, and they told me I have to subscribe to one of these packs to get the discovery pack, which is all I'm really after. If I can get the discovery pack but can't watch all of the movie channels I'm fine with that, and I can cancel this at any time so I figured why not. I also need to confirm my channel numbers are correct for some of these channels. I'm adding the new channels I recived to JRMC right now to see if that can tune to them, and earlier I believe I had these channels disabled but didn't realize it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Your tuning adapter isn't working and those channels are SDV and require the TA. Reboot the TA and watch the Tuning Resolver Menu screen on the HDHomeRun's web page. It needs to show success/success/success/ready before things will work. If it never gets a downstream lock, check your wiring and make sure everything is good. If so, get a new TA.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:46 pm

I'll take a look. The last time I checked though my local Cox store was out of these. Can I grab one off eBay if need be?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 pm

No. It has to come from the cable provider. If you happen to find one on eBay it's stolen.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am

I'm running my channel scan right now but it looks like swapping out the TA did the trick. The light was constantly blinking on the old one but on the new TA I get a solid orange light. Thanks for all of your help Jason!!

Edit: I have all of my channels now so it looks like everything worked out!!