Glitchy TV on Fire TV Sticks

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
richardb

Glitchy TV on Fire TV Sticks

Post by richardb » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm

Hey all, having an issue with a couple of devices. I have two Amazon Fire TV sticks, one on wireless and one on wired Ethernet. Both are having issues with live and recorded TV becoming glitchy, with TV gitching, stopping and starting with sound sometimes dropping out of sync. Occasionally channels also show up as "Audio only".

The same channels seem to work okay on iPad and other devices, with only occasional glitches.

I am not sure where the issue is here. I have two cablecards in HDHomerun Prime Devices, both on firmware 20190621. My DVR is on Windows, also with version 20190621. I've updated the Fire TV sticks to the latest version available through the Amazon app store.

Any ideas? Anybody else having issues with Fire TV sticks?

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Re: Glitchy TV on Fire TV Sticks

Post by Mediaman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:21 pm

richardb wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:35 pm
Hey all, having an issue with a couple of devices. I have two Amazon Fire TV sticks, one on wireless and one on wired Ethernet. Both are having issues with live and recorded TV becoming glitchy, with TV gitching, stopping and starting with sound sometimes dropping out of sync. Occasionally channels also show up as "Audio only".

The same channels seem to work okay on iPad and other devices, with only occasional glitches.

I am not sure where the issue is here. I have two cablecards in HDHomerun Prime Devices, both on firmware 20190621. My DVR is on Windows, also with version 20190621. I've updated the Fire TV sticks to the latest version available through the Amazon app store.

Any ideas? Anybody else having issues with Fire TV sticks?
Audio only message suggests that channel is drm protected [you can check that in channels list]. In your case that channel should not open if drm is set on it. Amazon does not support drm cable content on their devices [write to them about it]. If you are seeing it and it is drm then you do not have their latest update on the fire stick as they removed all access months ago [unless something changed in the last couple of weeks].

Your best potential at resolving the issue may be to see that both Fire devices have send diagnostics turned on in settings and either post your tuner id number here or open a trouble ticket with SD. There may be many issues involved that they can see. Best to note a time and channel where a specific stick has an issue when opening a ticket.

richardb

Post by richardb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks. Pretty sure it is not a DRM issue as the channels work fine if I retry them a bit later. I'll set the diagnostic thing and see if I can pin it down a bit.

bassgas

Post by bassgas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 am

I have 5 Firesticks around the house. 2 on WiFi, 3 on ethernet. The wifi ones suck. As a side note can't get the thing to record shows. Paid the $35. Creates a subdirectory on PC called "LIVE TV" bit never records anything. Going back to store today. I have been compairing this product and new Tablo Quad OTA DVR. HDHomerun has much better TV Guide by a factor of 100. Tablo comes with Wifi and/or Ethernet. Works fine on all 5 FSticks.