HDHR3-CC - No Cablecard after Firmware Update

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Fratopolis

Re: HDHR3-CC - No Cablecard after Firmware Update

Post by Fratopolis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 pm

jsloan2 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Never that long. I did unplug it then came back after about 20/25 mins.
Well that's definitely long enough to let the unit completely drain anything left and let it cool down.

I didn't even know they had an out of warranty replacement option. Probably only available until the new units come out. Even still, Good for you Silicondust!

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 pm

I did. There are no units left for the program. I've done all your ideas. Why don't we try mine?

Send me a tech release firmware that is 20190716tech1 and will install on my device but it's really the same binary as 20180327.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 pm

The symptom you are seeing is not firmware related.

We have an out-of-warranty program and can replace your unit. Please let me know your trouble ticket number - I will chase up.

Nick

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:48 pm

@nickk

HDHR-3CC - Firmware Update - No Cable Card Detect. [#124016]

I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but I'm sure we've been in a situation where the app team comes in late at night and upgrades their application, they give each other high fives and head home only to come in the next day and their application isn't working right. Of course it can't be the change they just did, they had a wonderful test plan that surely covered all the possible scenarios. It must be an infrastructure problem. Let's get the compute guys and network guys involved surely they must have monied with something after we tested....

Literally this tuner was fine and tuned to a channel when the firmware upgrade took place. Nothing else changed. The cat didn't even fart next to it. It rebooted for the upgrade and never came back to a usable state. Typically in my experience where there's smoke there's fire. A large portion of IT outages are due to change and it is usually very difficult to determine what changed in order to fix the problem. I feel like I have gift wrapped and put a bow on the delta, but it can't be that? Now, I don't profess to be a cable card wizard but I consider myself to be a pretty good sleuth when it comes to finding an issue and correcting it.

We have ruled out the cable card.
We have ruled out power.
We can see in the logs the cable card is detected, that would seem like physical connectivity is ruled out.

What else if left? How can we rule it out?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:36 am

The CableCARD is detected as inserted, ready to be powered up.

Our current thinking is that there may be a hardware fault preventing the card from being powered up or an interface/bus fault preventing communication. Either way the symptom you are seeing is not firmware related.

We are here to help - we have an out-of-warranty program and can replace your unit. Another option is for you to send us you existing unit so we can diagnose the fault.

Nick

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 am

I'd love to know what happened to this unit. If I send it in can we keep this thread alive with the diagnostics and repair info? Maybe some pictures? That would be cool to see in action I think.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Equipment like HDHomeRun tuners that are on the edge of failing will often keep going until they reboot. A component that has failed may only be used doing the boot up sequence, or something to that extent. A firmware update will trigger the reboot, and now the device can no longer start back up. This will often lead people to thinking that it was the firmware, but at least for HDHomeRun units, it's almost always the reboot and not the firmware update which exposes a failed hardware component.