HDHR3-CC - No Cablecard after Firmware Update

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jsloan2

HDHR3-CC - No Cablecard after Firmware Update

Post by jsloan2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:59 am

Opened support case, but have yet to receive response - turning to the forum.

Device: HDHR3-CC
Provider: Comcast
Card Manufacturer: Motorola
No Digital Tuning Adapter.

HDHR3-CC Was functioning fine on firmware 20180327.

I have a new Windows 10 laptop that I wanted to install the software on, so I did that and the drivers automatically updated the tuner to 20190621 firmware and now the tuner will not detect the cablecard.
Checking the troubleshooting section, this fit the description of the issue: https://www.silicondust.com/support/tro ... is-missing
This suggests that the firmware update somehow corrupted the cablecard and the tuner is no longer able to read the card.
It seems a little far fetched, but humoring the idea I drove over to my local Comcast location and picked up a cable card and swapped them out to the same result.
I also found this issue which applies as well: https://www.silicondust.com/support/tro ... king-green
That process also did not fix the issue.

After some time on the internet it would appear that I'm unable to restore my beloved tuner to the previously working firmware due to some versioning requirement.
Desperate I updated to the beta firmware (20190715beta1) and the issue persisted. Which brings us to today is where I need some technical support help.

Please restore my tuner to 20180327 so it can read cable cards again - if you are unable to downgrade it I'll take a tech release that is 20180327 with a bumped up version number so it installs again.

Thank you.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR3-CC - No Cablecard after Firmware Update

Post by nickk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Happy to help figure out what is wrong...

Please run HDHomeRun Setup and enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab, then post back with the device ID of your device.

Nick

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 am

131EF6E5

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:55 am

Something isn't right.

Can you please power cycle the unit so it will log the card initialization process.

Nick

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 am

Sure. I can't tell you how many times it has been power cycled with the diagnostics turned on since this happening though. Just power cycled it again.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:06 am

The HDHomeRun is powering up the card but the card isn't communicating. Something has failed (not firmware related).

The first thing to try would be a different 5V (exact) 2A (or higher) power adapter if you have one from another product. The HDHomeRun isn't showing any power related issues but it is an easy test if you have one.

Next would be to replace the CableCARD. This is the most likely failure given the specific symptom in the logs.

If replacing the CableCARD doesn't solve the problem we can help with replacing the unit itself.

Nick

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 pm

I went out and found a new power supply, that didn't fix it.
There's been about 5 different cable cards attempted, all with the same result.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Found your support ticket, you should have gotten a replay on that same day. Be sure to check your spam folder, sometimes our ticket system triggers false-positive spam detection.

This is what Jason had to say in your ticket:
The logs indicate the HDHomeRun detects that a CableCARD has been inserted, but the card is not initializing itself. This usually means the card is bad. It is not uncommon to get multiple bad cards from some cable providers, Comcast being one of the more likely ones. Most offices do not have any way to test returned cards, so bad ones end up right back on the shelf for someone else to get stuck with, and people keep exchanging until they get one that works, so the office starts accumulating bad ones. We have heard of people having to try half a dozen cards to get a working one.
Five bad cards in a row might be pushing it, but it wouldn't be unthinkable coming from some cable companies.

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 pm

It's not the cards. Something went wrong in the update process. I know most of these things use java because you know who doesn't like sticking their tender bits in a meat grinder? There's nothing in that update stack from 20180327 to present that messed with the java cert stack or config or anything that could have corrupted the startup process?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm

No, there haven't been any changes to card handling in years. The firmware changes for HDHomeRun PRIME in the last few years have been on the network and client-facing side of things. It's not even getting to the point of certs being involved anyway. Once the card boots up it is responsible for initiating communications with the host, and after that's set up they exchange certs and all that other stuff. Yours isn't doing that initiation.

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Strange. I took a working cable card from another hdhr3cc and installed it in the non working hdhr3cc. no joy. it is really suspect that the only thing that changed was the firmware update. The cable cards were working great. The tuners were great. I added the software to a new laptop. One tuner survived the process, the other did not. I'm at a loss.

Fratopolis

Post by Fratopolis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:17 pm

This has happened to me before. Not update wise but just rebooting something. At work our old AS400 at work that for God know why was still being used, we literally rebooted and never booted back up.

Another server that had been up for over 2 straight years before we virtualized obviously needed updates (lol 2 years and no patches) rebooted after updating and the system would not even post, had nothing to do with updating just the system turning off and back on, something hardware wise could not initialize something on the board.

Not saying it's anyone's fault, but firmware related, this issue would be more seriously widespread I would think.

Fratopolis

Post by Fratopolis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Just a shot in the dark have you tried leaving it unplugged for an hour or longer?

jsloan2

Post by jsloan2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Never that long. I did unplug it then came back after about 20/25 mins.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:16 pm

There is no response/communication with the CableCARD. If it isn't the CableCARD or power adapter then it must be the unit itself.

Please file a trouble ticket - we have a low cost out-of-warranty replacement option which support can help with.

Nick