Scribe Duo/Quad DVR software options

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
a3p3g

Scribe Duo/Quad DVR software options

Post by a3p3g » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:05 pm

I am looking at switching from Tablo to HDHomeRun and had a question about the Scribe boxes. Obviously the draw to those is the HDHomeRun DVR software is built in and the intent would be to use that. I was curious if you have one of those COULD you us the Scribe tuner with Plex or Channels Plus as the DVR software end? (just in case we don't like the HDHomerun DVR software)

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Scribe Duo/Quad DVR software options

Post by NedS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:26 pm

At the moment, no. There's no plain file access that would allow those apps to scan in the recordings, like would happen with a NAS. The files are entirely accessible to third party apps, and we have lots of APIs for them to act as a front end for recordings, but that support would need to be added by the makers of those apps.

This might change in the future, but it may depend on certain technical factors (as far as I understand, as I am not a programer, but I do play one on TV).

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 am

thanks Ned. Maybe i didnt explain myself ......I didnt mean for other apps to scan already recorded content on the device.....i meant could those apps detect just the hdhomerun tuner in the scribe box to be used for their software (just like they have always been used prior to this option)

of course i'd much prefer to just use the built in software but since i've never used that software before i figured if i bought one i'd have that option to start but if i really dont like it i'd still have a decent tuner to use for other

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:38 am

The tuner portion will work just like any other HDHomeRun tuner.

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 am

perfect thank you! do you know which standalone tuner the scribe duo/quatro compares to? (was curious if the scribe did transcoding or not)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm

The CONNECT Duo/Quatro. No transcoding.

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:47 pm

sorry just wanted clarification on something.......if you get the scribe (duo/quatro) and dont like the built in dvr software can you use the hardware to connect to plex or channels and use that dvr software? i thought i just read a review that said the scribe you HAD to use the hdhomerun dvr so wanted to double check

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:12 pm

The tuner is a tuner just like "any other hdhr" tuner but more specifically is just like a connect duo/quatro which was stated the post before yours.

The dvr in it is a dvr engine running in the device (for all practical purposes the same as any engine running on a nas) and connects to the tuners (whether its built in ones or other hdhrs) but unlike a nas, the only "practical" way to get the recordings is through the same api that the dvr serves its content as there is no ftp, nfs, etc.

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 pm

that does make sense and i did understand w/ the other post but had read a review for the scribe earlier that talked about it oNLY working with the built in dvr so wanted to make sure that even though its the same hardware as the connect maybe there was some lock down on the software that could utilize it so good to know!

I am currently using Tablo Engine which has an awesome interface but has some other issues so looking at hdhomerun as an alternative.....i have not used its dvr software but sounds like its not terribly user friendly (thinking about the other non techy people in the house ). I am wondering if maybe going w/ the connect quatro and trying channels plus dvr might be the better way to go? has anyone compared that dvr software to the hdhomerun dvr if its worth looking at that setup? i have an older powerful pc tower w/ a quad core cpu and 12gb ram not being used i thought i could use. simplicity and reliability is what we are gunning for so thought maybe the hdhomerun hardware tuner and channels dvr might be the best mix but never used either before so hoping for some advice

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:18 pm

a3p3g wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:26 pm
that does make sense and i did understand w/ the other post but had read a review for the scribe earlier that talked about it oNLY working with the built in dvr so wanted to make sure that even though its the same hardware as the connect maybe there was some lock down on the software that could utilize it so good to know!

I am currently using Tablo Engine which has an awesome interface but has some other issues so looking at hdhomerun as an alternative.....i have not used its dvr software but sounds like its not terribly user friendly (thinking about the other non techy people in the house ). I am wondering if maybe going w/ the connect quatro and trying channels plus dvr might be the better way to go? has anyone compared that dvr software to the hdhomerun dvr if its worth looking at that setup? i have an older powerful pc tower w/ a quad core cpu and 12gb ram not being used i thought i could use. simplicity and reliability is what we are gunning for so thought maybe the hdhomerun hardware tuner and channels dvr might be the best mix but never used either before so hoping for some advice
Open your tuner homepage http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and scroll to the bottom to the third party choices. In the apple tv section are links to Channels and InstaTV; those are the two current items that support the tuners [and hdd] system [none drm] and should use the built in hdd. Also you will find Plex which has an Apple TV app I believe. If you do not have the tuner setup it should still show the link information.

The built in hard drive is a bit more closed system than other storage systems available but pretty much fool proof until it becomes full and no other alternatives are on the network. But now we can have multiple record engines running at one time. You could use a computer or NAS for that when needed, the SD device is much more power effective. You will find threads in the third party software area of the forum on Channels and others that talk about the various options and any current issues. If you want to use the Apple TV as a client I would go with Channels as it also allows for other client types. If Emby had an Apple TV app I would prefer that but it needs a dedicated pc to do all I would want [primarily transcoding to a internet friendly codec and does not support apple tv].