Media Center/HDHomeRun on Firestick Conflict

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jimmyv4351

Media Center/HDHomeRun on Firestick Conflict

Post by jimmyv4351 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:20 am

I've been using 2 HDHomeRun Connect (dual tuner - thus 4 total tuners) on my Windows 7 64bit Media Center system for several years. I recently added a Fire Stick 4k to my TV and installed the HDHomeRun app (and just ordered a Servio). While watching live TV last evening using the Fire Stick / HDHomeRun app, the screen suddenly went blank and lost audio. It seems Media Center grabbed the tuner I was watching TV on to do a recording of another channel.

Is this conflict known and is there a work around? It seems like Media Center shouldn't grab a tuner that is already in use by another app. It handles multiple tuners well enough when it is the only app using them.

Conversely, if Media Center is already using one or more tuners, will HDHomeRun recognize which ones are already in use and grab a free one or, will it grab one away from Media Center, or, will it refuse to operate?

I guess this may be more of a software post, but, it seems like when the software accesses one of the tuners, it should set a flag in the tuner to make it unavailable to other applications.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Media Center/HDHomeRun on Firestick Conflict

Post by signcarver » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am

Both wmc and the official apps should lock the tuner when tuned so that should not have been your problem. Usually you will most often see problems when a tuner is in use by something other than wmc (or another instance of wmc) as wmc has no concept of other things using a tuner and for live won't attempt another to use another tuner and display an error. For recording, it will try the other tuners.

Many other programs don't lock tuners when they use them thus may be used/changed by others.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 pm

For OTA devices, the HDHomeRun driver will transparently redirect tuning requests to a different tuner if the one requested is already in use by something else. The application doesn't even know that it's getting data from a different tuner. The limitation signcarver mentioned only applies to CableCARD devices, since WMC interacts with those directly rather than going through a separate driver and WMC isn't smart enough to handle conflicts well on its own.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Don't you have to tell it to do that on the advanced tab.

jimmyv4351

Post by jimmyv4351 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 am

Further info:
I have 2 dual tuner HDHomeRun devices. One is the Dual, the other the Connect (plus the Servio I just added).
My computer system recognizes all four tuners and Media Center will use all four.
However, when I run HDHomeRun Setup the Dual fails a UPnP test, while the Connect passes it and clicking on it lets me look at it's status.
When I click on the Dual in Setup, it displays a page with links to download the HDHomeRun application and to the install instructions.
I've tried several times, but, the Dual always fails the UPnP test.
I've tried to investigate the problem further but don't really follow your UPnP Multicast Recv Test write-up.
All my devices are plugged into the same unmanaged multiport switch, and, my DSL modem has no UPnP restrictions on it's firewall.
The Firestick/HDHomeRun will only recognize the 2 tuners in the Connect.
How can I get the Dual to pass the UPnP test and get it's tuners recognized by the Firestick/HDHomeRun DVR application?
Thanks - & Happy Labor Day!

PS: my Connect is running 20190621 firmware, the Dual 20170930. I'd like to update the Dual's firmware but the only way seems to be via reinstalling HDHomeRun on my PC and it fails due to the UPnP error.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:29 am

Personally i would not want an old dual being used by the modern software... stick to wmc. There is no newer firmware for the dual.

The legacy dual, unlike a modern tuner such as a connect, will never work with the dvr. It can work with their client if you do a scan from windows setup but doing so can confuse a lot of software that never expects to see a lineup returned by the dual.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:58 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:19 pm
Don't you have to tell it to do that on the advanced tab.
It's enabled by default, so you just have to not disable it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm

jimmyv4351 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 am
Further info:
I have 2 dual tuner HDHomeRun devices. One is the Dual, the other the Connect (plus the Servio I just added).
My computer system recognizes all four tuners and Media Center will use all four.
However, when I run HDHomeRun Setup the Dual fails a UPnP test, while the Connect passes it and clicking on it lets me look at it's status.
When I click on the Dual in Setup, it displays a page with links to download the HDHomeRun application and to the install instructions.
I've tried several times, but, the Dual always fails the UPnP test.
I've tried to investigate the problem further but don't really follow your UPnP Multicast Recv Test write-up.
All my devices are plugged into the same unmanaged multiport switch, and, my DSL modem has no UPnP restrictions on it's firewall.
The Firestick/HDHomeRun will only recognize the 2 tuners in the Connect.
How can I get the Dual to pass the UPnP test and get it's tuners recognized by the Firestick/HDHomeRun DVR application?
Thanks - & Happy Labor Day!

PS: my Connect is running 20190621 firmware, the Dual 20170930. I'd like to update the Dual's firmware but the only way seems to be via reinstalling HDHomeRun on my PC and it fails due to the UPnP error.
You can ignore the UPnP error. I'm not even sure why it would try to run that test on a Dual since Duals don't use UPnP.

jimmyv4351

Post by jimmyv4351 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:48 am

Well, the Dual just doesn't work with HDHomeRun on Firestick or Servio.
With those devices only the Connect works.
I had a support response on this yesterday that said I could use it for Live viewing in HDHomeRun but on the Firestick I just get a blank screen.
I guess I'll just have to buy another Connect and retire the Dual - though that doesn't make me very happy.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data in HDHomeRun Setup, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun Dual, and enable the sending of diagnostic data in the Fire TV app (see https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then try to watch something from the Dual. Reply back with the device ID for the Dual and we will check the logs.

jimmyv4351

Post by jimmyv4351 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:04 pm

I've replaced the Dual with a 4 tuner Connect.
Seems to be working, but, setup still says I have a UPnP error.
Again, my two Connects, the Servio, the Firestick 4k (hardwired ethernet connection), and my PC are all plugged into the same unmanaged switch, and, my DSL modem doesn't have any restrictions set on UPnP.

I have checked to have diagnostic data sent to SiliconDust (multiple times).

Are you saying the Dual should work?
For DVR or just viewing?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:33 pm

The dual will work for live viewing only, it will not work with the DVR as it does not support the modern method of tuning with the device maintaining the lineup and http streaming... a channel scan must be done from windows setup as it is that which informs SD of the lineup... personally I would keep a dual on older firmware so it can't provide a link to a channel lineup and discover from SD which confuses a lot of software I have that doesn't expect a lineup from a device that doesn't maintain a lineup and can't support http streaming. (Yes I admit there were a lot of "assumptions" in that older software that would need to be "fixed")

I wouldn't worry about the upnp error if the software is working.