Channels associated with W28DB no longer detected

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
pshanew

Channels associated with W28DB no longer detected

Post by pshanew » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:59 am

Hi,

I've lost access to several channels (28.1 - 28.8) which were previously scanned and watchable on my Connect (HDHR4-2US). I noticed this a couple of nights ago. The call sign for the station is W28DB; I've also lost access to their sister station, WGGS (16), but am not concerned about those. I don't think they are affected by the repack, but could be mistaken.

If it matters, I use a ClearStream 2V indoor/outdoor antenna, installed indoors. It is aimed at approximately 320 degrees north northwest. I've got a Channel Master LTE filter installed inline.

My HDHR device ID is 104908B4, and I've just performed a channel scan (~2:55PM EDT). Sending of diagnostic data is enabled.

Thanks,
Philip

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Channels associated with W28DB no longer detected

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:31 pm

W28DB-D is being displaced by WJBF in Augusta taking their channel 28, effective 9/6. It is likely that W28DB-D is off-air so WJBF can do testing of their new facility before the deadline. It may go up and down randomly until WJBF is ready to complete their move, and W28DB-D's channel 28 broadcast will go off-air permanently when that happens. It will come back on the air under a new callsign W16DY-D on channel 16, though it should still be mapping to 28.x. No idea on when that will happen. Legally they could go on-air as soon as WGGS moves, or stay off-air for up to a year without running into FCC problems.

WGGS is moving from channel 16 to channel 2 as part of the repack, also on 9/6, so odds are you'll lose that entirely since the C2V is not designed for low VHF.

pshanew

Re: Channels associated with W28DB no longer detected

Post by pshanew » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks very much for the detailed information. I did try to search to see if this station was impacted by the repack but it did not appear so. I didn't think to search to see if it was being displaced.

Thanks again,
Philip