missing channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
smokey0066

missing channels

Post by smokey0066 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Hello. I just picked up a Quatro. Plugged it in and it seemed pretty straight forward but only got a few channels. Came online here and found the other post about the antenna amplifier could be over boosting the signal so I pulled it out and got a few more channels. I still get more channels from my TV compared to the Quatro. Looking for help before I return this device.

As it stands now my setup is antenna > 2way splitter > Quatro
coming off the other end of the 2way splitter from the antenna is connect to the amplifier > 8way to each bedroom in the house.

Hardware Model HDHR5-4US
Firmware Version 20190621
Device ID 1075621D

any help would be appreciated.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: missing channels

Post by jasonl » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Your scan results are kind of odd. Your VHF channels (KMSP and KARE) are coming in clearly, but the UHF channels (everything else) have normal signal strength but very low quality, with many of them not able to lock on at all. This is odd since most people can generally get UHF without an issue, but struggle with VHF, usually due to improper antenna selection. What kind of antenna are you using, where is it installed (roof, attic, indoors in a window, just randomly indoors, etc.), and which direction is it pointed?

smokey0066

Post by smokey0066 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 pm

My antenna is outdoors mounted on the side of my house facing South which I believe is the recommended direction.

Antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellit ... 4187&psc=1

pre amp (plugged into the "combined")
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z-Pr ... 169&sr=1-3

removed the amp. i guess the pre-amp is a 2 piece deal after i dug into it some more.
Last edited by smokey0066 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokey0066

Post by smokey0066 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm

I should add that initially I had the amplifier hooked up inline and I only got the vhf channels. After I read the one post about high signals I bypassed the amplifier and got a few more channels but they are unstable at best.

On the flip side my TV's are picking everything up fine with the inline amp but aren't able to display any of the uhf channels after I disconnected the inline amp that is why I put the splitter in.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Somehow I forgot to ask what zip code you're in. That would help with the antenna pointing.

smokey0066

Post by smokey0066 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 pm

55449. why would my antenna position be in question if my TVs can pick up 2, 4, 5, 9, 11

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:18 pm

You cannot judge by what another device gets only what is happening on the device you are trying to fix it for (even two of the same brand/model tv may behave differently and fixing such for one may cripple it for another). My general rule of thumb is that a TV will pick up signals (at least enough to add to its listing) in about twice the range of strength than what a "tuner" does but my example for the numbers I base such statement on applies more to how cable signal strength is measured than OTA strength.

Keep in mind that from what I saw that preamp you linked to needs power and one port is for a VHF signal(antenna), the other is for a UHF or combined signal (antenna) and the other is for the power injector as well as going to your devices.

smokey0066

Post by smokey0066 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 pm

thanks signcarver. I'm doing some more poking around on the forum and also with my setup. I realize the pre-amp and the power injector in my basement are tied together now. Here is the latest troubleshooting. Keep in mind between each scenario I'm rescanning.

I disconnected the power injector completely and connected the outdoor antenna through the pre-amp (unpowered) directly into the Quatro. I'm getting decent signals. Picking up about 22 channels. I'm looking at the Config GUI and channel 34 (PBS) which is one I want and am having problems with shows signal strength ~45 floating between red/yellow and the signal quality is ~70 floating between yellow/green.

I then plug the antenna into my 8way splitter without the power injector again and tap off that 8way into the quatro, similar results as above.

These two scenarios i'm basically unable to watch directly from my TVs (not ideal). The Quatro works but is unstable. It'll lose its signal and i'll have to re-select the channel and it'll load up and play for awhile before cutting out again.

I plug the power injector in and then things go haywire. I lose everything but the VHF as I initially encountered. I tried it both directly into the Quatro and also through the 8way with the same results. I guess I'll try to refine my antenna position tomorrow and see if that helps. Maybe I need a new pre-amp as well, any recommendations from you guys?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm

All the major networks share 3 broadcast towers, all in Shoreview just north of I-694. They're hard to miss the towers if you're headed down that way to St. Paul. Depending on where you are in that zip code, you probably want the antenna pointing somewhat east of south. You're close enough that you can probably see the towers from your home so pointing shouldn't be too tough.

If you remove the preamp and injector entirely and go straight from the antenna to the HDHomeRun, how do things look? Most amps will block a significant portion of the signal if they're connected but unpowered. You're close enough to the towers that you should be getting a great signal straight off the antenna, but with an 8 way split an amp is probably a good idea. If you're seeing signal problems with the amp powered but running on a different leg of a 2 way splitter from the HDHomeRun, that's not normal, and probably means there's something wrong with the amp, and replacing it is a good idea. I'd probably go with a Winegard Boost XT. The Channel Master CM 7778 would be my other pick, but it seems to be backordered everywhere at the moment.

smokey0066

Post by smokey0066 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I guess I should update my situation. I got on the ladder yesterday with the intent to adjust my antenna a little more east and to also disconnect the pre-amp. When i got up there I noticed that there was some damage to the antenna (2 broken tines) so today I picked up a new one and replaced it and also aimed it a little more east. So with the antenna directly connect to the quatro i am now seeing ~50 channels, Most of them are junk that I never watch but ch 34 which was important to me is showing all green on the GUI. :D

I still need to pick up a replacement pre-amp, maybe i'll try plugging the 8way in and seeing if the signal is strong enough with the re-aimed antenna directly. Thanks jasonl for your patience in helping me get this working!