Power supply - konrads3

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
konrads3

Power supply - konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:19 am

This power supply thing is very annoying. I have the same issue with the failed power supply and using a different 5v/3A got the unit to work but no channel detection (detects ONE EASDT channel that I cannot watch anyway while before would detect about 500).

While waiting for the SiliconDust replacement power supply to arrive, I tried the following (I am an electrical engineer).

1. Tried about 12 (twelve!) other power supplies. Even tried many USB power supplies, even USB power from a USB3.0 pc port, but the power draw from the tuner exceeds the 900mA power max provided by the port.

2. Measure the in load voltage power supplied by the sources (anywhere from 5.1 to 4.75V, steady). No success.

3. Tore apart the failed original power supply and replaced the bloated 2x 1000uF and 1x 330uF capacitors. While now the original power supply works fine (no longer in load voltage falls from 5.1 to 2.5V, but holds steady at 5.1V), still same no channel detection problem

I did not hook up yet the power supply to an oscilloscope to see the waveform and the relative noise that should be below 100mV pp as specified for the finicky tuner.

While I was originally troubleshooting the problem, the unit asked to upgrade the firmware, which I did. I am afraid that the new FW (which I read a lot of negative comments about) may also be a contributing factor to this problem. How do I downgrade the firmware ? I am afraid that I will receive the new power supply (an expensive $15 investment when I have over 30 Cisco 5V/4A power supplies from Cisco C819 routers) and support will just tell me that I have a "bad" unit that worked fine for 7 years until this garbage capacitor equipped power supply failed.

How do I downgrade the firmware ?

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Channel Scan = No Channels Detected

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:32 am

Describe your setup, location and provider (I'm assuming cable since you stated you previously got about 500 channels). Modern tuners (those with "official" names such as prime, extend, connect... unlike the unofficially named dual) can't downgrade firmware. Typically from the channel you state that comes in, it sounds more like the cable system encrypted everything and/or you are not scanning for digital cable vs ota.

konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Model HDHR3-CC (3 tuner Prime )
Firmware: 20190621

Comcast cable, Houston, cablecard OK

Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock success
Card Validation success

Windows 7 w/ MediaCenter, Windows 10 with full HDHomerun SW and app, iPad and Samsung S8+, all used to work fine before the failure and FW update.

How do I tell it to scan for cable rather than OTA from the web interface ? From the full app setup I can switch 3 options DigitalCable/CableCARD/disabled, using either of the first 2 I get only that 995 EASDT that raises my blood pressure significantly.

From full appsetup it has the cablecard menu and all the channels listed for the cable, but when it verifies them, it fails.

and all it finds is

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:30 pm

WMC does not use scans with cablecard it gets such info from its guide.

This seems like an issue with the cablecard pairing/provisioning not the power supply.

konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Did not have this issue before the power supply failure AND before I rescanned I could see the channels listed.

Besides, if there was a provisioning issue with the card, why would the below messages show up ?

Card Authentication success
Card OOB Lock success
Card Validation success

Why would the HDHomerun app have an issue ? Multiple setups do not work from multiple systems, besides the WMC/win7 one (Win10 with HDHomerun app, Ipad and Android phone and tablet). All worked before.

We will see once the famed replacement power supply arrives.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:33 pm

If there was a power supply failure, then it could have taken more than the power supply, from the card to the device. Though usually not, many have had pairing/provisioning issues after a firmware update (as well as that is when they most often find out they have a power supply issue)

To me your symptoms suggest a bad card, bad vctid, failed staging, loading your subscriptions onto the card, or if a cisco card (rare on comcast) the ca status isn't ready as any of these issues you would only get just that particular channel from the scan.

konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Very interesting points, thank you for your insight.

I am really curious what the results will be when the power supply arrives. I wish I did not upgrade the FW, I was hoping it would fix the black screen issue after the power supply replacement with a generic 5V/3A one.

4 days to wait now :(

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Power supply - konrads3

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:00 pm

The power supply is not why the channels aren't coming in. The card is either not staged or is not authorized for the channels. You need to call your provider and ask them to verify the correct channel packages are added to the card and send a refresh. Give it a couple minutes to go through, then try the scan again and see if channels come in. You should see it show the number found pretty much immediately. If it gets past like 10 scanned without finding any, abort the scan, and have them send it a cold hit/cold init. If the issues persist, get a new card and start from scratch.

konrads3

Re: Power supply - konrads3

Post by konrads3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

JasonL, you were correct. Even with the new power supply, same problem.

A call to Comcast resolved the issue, the scan showed all channels and all is working great again.
Thank you everyone for helping with this issue ! :D