Dual HDHR4 and DVR software, channel select

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ColdCase

Dual HDHR4 and DVR software, channel select

Post by ColdCase » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm thinking about using HDHomerun DVR Software but I'm just a little confused by my configuration search results and the user guides. I'm guessing some things don't work as well as they should. I though I'd ask here, as I dunno if this is a hardware question or software or both.

I have two old HDHR4-2US on an isolated ad hock ethernet network. Each are connected to a different antenna.

Say that I always want to record shows that are broadcast on channel 5 on unit ***F2E and channel 9 on unit ***ACA as they get the most reliable signal for that channel. After a scan, both channels will show up on both units with different quality levels. There are several channels like this.

How do I configure (easily) either the hardware or HDHomerun DVR software to use ***F2E for channel 5 and ***ACA other for channel 9. Or is that not practical. I don't care about Live TV. What about automatically picking the tuner with the best signal?

The ad hock network is not connected to the ethernet, but the computer is (MacOS El Capitan 10.11).

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Dual HDHR4 and DVR software, channel select

Post by NedS » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:16 pm

You can't. Unless you disable the channel on the "weaker" tuner.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm

The HDHomeRun DVR will not work with the devices not having an internet connection. They have to be able to reach our server to submit the channel lineup in order for guide listings to work, which is a requirement for the DVR.

As Ned said, you can't set priorities, but you can disable channels that have a poor signal on one and that will prevent the DVR/app from attempting to use that device for that channel.

ColdCase

Post by ColdCase » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks

I understand that an internet connection is needed to make a DVR work well (Guide data for one).

Just to be clear, the MacOS computer the DVR recording engine software would be running on has two network interfaces, one connected to the internet along with other devices in the house, and one connected to a separate small local network where only the HDHR4s reside. I currently use Windose Media Center on one tuner and MYTH on the other (belts and suspenders approach from years ago), and was thinking about consolidating.

Disabling channels on a weaker tuner is the way to do this. I also get the impression from reading here that there may still be stability/reliability issues (channels get enabled and disabled without end user input).

Anyway does the HDHR4s devices themselves need direct access to the internet to disable channels, or is that a function of the computer/recording engine (like retrieving guide data, firmware updates, and setting configurations)?

I just don't want to download install and setup the DVR software only to find there is a show stopper. :)

Thanks
Sam

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm

There were some issues with PRIME devices where the status would change without user interaction, but that did not apply to OTA devices. OTA would only have issues caused by user interaction, typically running a manual channel scan that removed the channel from the device's memory.

Disabling the channels is done directly on the device. Being able to get guide data (and use the DVR, for that matter) requires that the device have internet access. It has to send the channel lineup to the server regularly, and the authorization system for the DVR also requires that the device get a key from the server that is used to tie it securely to your account. If you have the networks separated to limit traffic on the main interface (perhaps because it's wifi or some other slow connection), then you can enable internet sharing on the Mac, sharing from the outward connection to the private network. This will set it to act as a router and allow the HDHomeRun devices to communicate out, while still keeping the video traffic within that small network. Also note that devices other than the Mac would not have access to live TV or any DVR scheduling functions if they cannot reach the HDHomeRun devices.

ColdCase

Post by ColdCase » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks for your patience, that makes things very clear to me.

Sam