Internet down and HDHomerun App on Android TV OS not working

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
peaso

Internet down and HDHomerun App on Android TV OS not working

Post by peaso » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 am

Yesterday my ISP had a major outage in our area and internet access was down for several hours. So I decided to watch local channels OTA on my Nvidia Shield RV. I have three Shields and all gave me a blank screen when I attempted to open the app (eventually a really tiny android robot in the top right corner). I even cleared cache and try reboot with no luck. My iPhone played just fine and my Macbook Pro played also (only if i started play on the iPhone first).

I understand all should work without internet (with exception of getting program guide info), but has any one see this happen before?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Internet down and HDHomerun App on Android TV OS not working

Post by NedS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:46 am

It depends on how recently the app was open last. It won't work at all without guide data for the current time the app is open. In that case you would need to use something like Live Channels on Android TV, or anything that can open a UPnP AV video source (VLC, Kodi, etc).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Internet down and HDHomerun App on Android TV OS not working

Post by signcarver » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:58 am

Is that completely true for the new UI... with the old UI it was still expected for channels to be listed and be able to be tuned (just no guide data) as some actually use the devices without internet access and that should be fixed. I think there is need for new apps with a built in "backup" UI choice that provides basic function of the old UI. This would also help when things that get pushed that cripple the system entirely as it has for some on a few occasions.