ARC soundbar issue

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
pmolan

ARC soundbar issue

Post by pmolan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 pm

I have the following:

Sony Bravia X830F TV
HD Homerun Prime
Sony CT800 Sound Bar

When I bought this tv about a month ago, I was pleasantly surprised that the HD Homerun app displayed DRM content. It even integrated the channels into the tv as if they were a cable/antenna input! Today I installed the above sound bar via ARC. Now most, not all, of the DRM content displays "Content Protection Error". If I unplug the HDMI going to the sound bar and use the tv speakers everything returns to normal.

I suppose that I can just connect a toslink cable to the sound bar but I would lose some of the nicer features of the sound bar.

Any suggestions?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: ARC soundbar issue

Post by NedS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Do you get any errors from other apps like Netflix or Hulu?

pmolan

Post by pmolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:13 am

No other errors.
It looks to me like the HDHomeRun app views the hdmi arc sound connection as an external display and locks down the drm channels.

jco23

Post by jco23 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:22 am

pmolan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 pm
I have the following:

Sony Bravia X830F TV
HD Homerun Prime
Sony CT800 Sound Bar

When I bought this tv about a month ago, I was pleasantly surprised that the HD Homerun app displayed DRM content. It even integrated the channels into the tv as if they were a cable/antenna input! Today I installed the above sound bar via ARC. Now most, not all, of the DRM content displays "Content Protection Error". If I unplug the HDMI going to the sound bar and use the tv speakers everything returns to normal.

I suppose that I can just connect a toslink cable to the sound bar but I would lose some of the nicer features of the sound bar.

Any suggestions?
interesting. looking at the specs, my guess is that it worked before b/c the TV is smart capable with Android TV built-in (which is one of the few devices that is able to show DRM content from HD Homerun Prime). once connecting the HDMI cable, I'd imagine that it is like telling the tv to do the conversion via the HDMI input/output rather than through the Android TV.
are you able to get sound just by connecting the digital optical or analog outputs? you may not be able to control the sound from a single remote, but at least you'll get the channels.

keep in mind that I'm relatively new here, so this is just a guess. let us know if it works out!

pmolan

Post by pmolan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 am

Yes that is what I was thinking exactly. I am fairly confident that the toslink connection will work, I have a harmony remote setup on it so it shouldn’t be an issue for the family. I was hoping that it was just a setting that I needed to change to get it to work correctly.