Scribe Duo goes offline after hours or days

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
dnickason

Scribe Duo goes offline after hours or days

Post by dnickason » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 am

I have a new Scribe Duo. When I connect it to the antenna and network, I can immediately access my.hdhomerun.com, seeing that the firmware is up to date and it found 27 channels. I can watch using the HD app on the PC or Fire Stick, and record and play back channels normally. After a period of hours or a day or two, it stops working. At that point, my.hdhomerun.com shows no device detected, I get no Guide information, and can't watch live TV. Sometimes power cycling it will let it come back online, but sometimes it takes several attempts over a period of time to get it back connecting properly.

I e-mailed support and they suggested a possible firewall issue. I contacted support for the firewall company, who after extensive troubleshooting said the firewall isn't blocking any traffic to or from the Scribe. They suggested plugging it directly into the firewall, which worked for a while but then stopped again. I connected it there last Tuesday, and it worked normally until about Thursday, then stopped again. It's currently connected to the firewall and working, but based on previous experience, I'm sure it'll stop again within about 48 hours. Any thoughts?

By the way, the green light comes on (solid) when I first connect it, then goes off shortly after. Should that light be on all the time, or only when the device is active?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Scribe Duo goes offline after hours or days

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 pm

You should have a solid green network LED when the device is connected. There's a separate hard drive LED:
Flashing RED = fault
Solid green = recording or playing back something
Flashing green = checking existing recordings
Rapid flashing green = drive is being formatted
Off = idle

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks. I see the green network light, and the hard drive LED comes on for a short time when I plug it in, then goes out.

How often does the Scribe have to contact the server? It seems like maybe it connects once, and then the next time it tries, something causes it to fail, which is when the guide loses its information. Is there any way to trigger it to connect? Since it got access earlier today, it's working, but I don't have any reason to think it won't stop again at some point.

Also, does multicast have to be enabled for it to work?

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 pm
You should have a solid green network LED when the device is connected. There's a separate hard drive LED:
Flashing RED = fault
Solid green = recording or playing back something
Flashing green = checking existing recordings
Rapid flashing green = drive is being formatted
Off = idle

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm

It fetches 4 hours worth of recording tasks every 2 hours. This is automatic. If you add/remove/change a recording rule in the HDHomeRun app it will notify the SCRIBE and tell it to do an update immediately. Multicast is not needed.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks again. It's still working, but my.hdhomerun.com no longer detects it. However, it definitely worked for more than two hours. Also, even though it isn't detected, it let me choose to record a show later this evening. It seems like being undetected by the web page indicates that it's getting ready to stop working again. Any thoughts?

It seems like the fact that it was detected earlier rules out any network or firewall issues?

Edit: it's back to being detected by my.hdhomerun.com.
jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:46 pm
It fetches 4 hours worth of recording tasks every 2 hours. This is automatic. If you add/remove/change a recording rule in the HDHomeRun app it will notify the SCRIBE and tell it to do an update immediately. Multicast is not needed.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Showing or not showing on my.hdhomerun.com doesn't necessarily mean anything about the device. The device being offline is just one of many possible reasons why it wouldn't show, but there are others, including the public IP address having changed and the device not checked in since it did, to the PC being connected to a VPN, to add-ons in the browser blocking the script from running or the data from loading, or the browser itself blocking it (common with Edge and IE, sometimes with Safari), or being on an ISP that uses carrier-grade NAT. If you find that the device isn't available, the first thing to check is the network LED (make sure it's solid green), then get the IP address it's assigned from your router's list of connected devices/DHCP clients and try accessing that directly.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks, that's good information. It's been working normally for over 24 hours, so I'm optimistic.
jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:08 pm
Showing or not showing on my.hdhomerun.com doesn't necessarily mean anything about the device. The device being offline is just one of many possible reasons why it wouldn't show, but there are others, including the public IP address having changed and the device not checked in since it did, to the PC being connected to a VPN, to add-ons in the browser blocking the script from running or the data from loading, or the browser itself blocking it (common with Edge and IE, sometimes with Safari), or being on an ISP that uses carrier-grade NAT. If you find that the device isn't available, the first thing to check is the network LED (make sure it's solid green), then get the IP address it's assigned from your router's list of connected devices/DHCP clients and try accessing that directly.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 am

The Scribe worked normally for about 52 hours, then quit. We unplugged it for 40-60 minutes, after which it's working normally again now, 15 hours later. What can be done to make it work more reliably?

I saw in a different thread where someone suggested unplugging it for longer than just a simple power cycle. In this case, just power cycling it seems not to make it come back online, but leaving it unplugged for longer does work. It's firmware version 20190621, which seems to be the latest firmware.

Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

What was the network LED showing when it was unavailable? Did you try just unplugging and reconnecting the network cable, and did the LED change when you did that?

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 am

I'll have to let you know next time it happens - someone unplugged it for me and he doesn't remember the LED status.
jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm
What was the network LED showing when it was unavailable? Did you try just unplugging and reconnecting the network cable, and did the LED change when you did that?

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:52 am

I just started the Windows 10 app and noticed that I had live TV but no Guide or Discover information. The network light was solid green. Unplugged the Scribe for about a half hour, and when I powered it back up, all the Guide info etc. came back within a couple of minutes.

I wonder if this could relate to overheating? When I first went to unplug it, it was noticeably warm but not hot.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Please go to http://my.hdhomerun.com and click on the device ID for your SCRIBE, then System Status, and check the Send diagnostic information box. The next time you see an issue, reply back with the device ID and time and we'll check the logs. If possible, please don't reboot it until we get a chance to check what is happening.

dnickason

Post by dnickason » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am

It quit again, reportedly on Saturday (I was away). Unfortunately, the person who discovered it wasn't working didn't contact me, so he rebooted it so it's working now. He did say that there was a solid green network light when it failed.

It's 15102A5C.

I'm 99% sure it was configured to send diagnostic information, but it's not now - maybe the restart turned that off? (It's back on now).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Please open a trouble ticket and reference this thread.

https://tickets.silicondust.com/tickets/open.php