What's a good number for signal quality?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
hdhomewran

What's a good number for signal quality?

Post by hdhomewran » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I just installed the GE Pro Attic Mount TV Antenna 29884 in my attic. It's pointing directly at the stations I want. It runs directly from my attic to the quatro, so the cable run is probably 15feet or so direct with no splitter in between.

The main channel 13.1 seems to be working fine, but the diagnostics show:

Virtual Channel 13.1 KCPQ
Frequency 213.000 MHz
Program Number 3
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 90%
Signal Quality 65%
Symbol Quality 100%
Streaming Rate 14.434 Mbps

Is 65% a "decent" number? Most of the other channels I have are at 100% or 99%, although those are closer at around 25miles, but same direction. This tower is at around 35 miles. But I live on top of a hill so the line of sight is pretty good.

Although it's working fine, I'm wondering if that will be a problem when it starts raining or in winter.

Thanks in advance!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: What's a good number for signal quality?

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm

KCPQ's main channel 13 transmitter is on Gold Mountain (west of Bremerton), while the rest of the Seattle stations are split between Queen Anne Hill and Capitol Hill in Seattle. KCPQ also has a low-power repeater on channel 22 on Capitol Hill, but it is primarily intended to cover the city of Seattle, not so much areas to the south like Tacoma and Puyallup, which are better covered by the main transmitter. It's not unexpected to see lower signal quality on channel 13, both because it's well off to the side of where you have the antenna pointed, and because the antenna you have is a much better UHF antenna than it is a VHF antenna (only the loop part at the back is for VHF, every other part of it is for UHF). I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually see problems because of it.

hdhomewran

Re: What's a good number for signal quality?

Post by hdhomewran » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks!