Ongoing Reception issues

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Ongoing Reception issues

Post by jasonl » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 pm

No. We're getting data from the HDHomeRun app but not from the device.

cgfern

Post by cgfern » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Ok. we are definitely sending diagnostic information now. As of 4:57pm EST

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Your reception is fine, but you're still getting a lot of network packet loss. Your wifi just isn't keeping up. It looks like you're watching via a Fire TV Stick. Do you have it plugged directly in to the TV? In most cases you need to use an HDMI extender cable with the Sticks. Most TVs emit a lot of RF, enough to kill wifi performance for anything in very close proximity, like a Stick when plugged directly in. Additionally, if the TV itself is between the Stick and the router, the metal shield it has inside will effectively block wireless signals. If things are oriented that way because of where your TV is, you'll probably want to pick up an HDMI extension cable long enough to get the Stick clear of the TV. Even just an 18" one that lets the Stick sit on the stand the TV is on and have a clearer look towards the router can easily double or triple the wireless performance.

cgfern

Post by cgfern » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks that did help a little. I decided to move my system around and try and new antenna setup to see if that helped.
I'm currently attempting the following:
Amplified antenna - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQ ... UTF8&psc=1
with 4G filter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MX ... UTF8&psc=1

HDHomerRun connected directly to my Nighthawk X6S 6800p router (about 20-30 feet away).

1. With the 4G filter and antenna amplified - I get 100% strength, detect a ton of channels but 0% quality. Unable to tune anything
2. With 4G filter and antenna amplifier unplugged, lower strength but 0% quality. Unable to tune anything
3. With 4G filter removed and antenna amplified, 88% strength and 51% quality but unable to tune the one channel I need (WECT out of Wilmington NC - which is odd, all fo th local stations appear to come out of the same antenna cluster)
4. With 4G filter removed and antenna not amplified, 0% and 0%

cgfern

Post by cgfern » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Quick update: I've removed the amplified antenna and installed my prior antenna (https://www.amazon.com/GE-29884-Outdoor ... way&sr=8-2)

with the 4G filter its working amazing, but it's kind of bulky. Does anyone have recommendations on a great antenna I can stash indoors?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:57 pm

You don't have any VHF channels there, so that's one thing you don't have to worry about. A standard panel style antenna would be the default pick, assuming you get a strong enough signal. The only step up from there that's reasonably sized would be a 2-bay bowtie like https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DTV2BUHF. It's technically an outdoor antenna, but it works fine indoors as long as you can find a way to mount it (weighted paper towel holder, or maybe a couple hooks screwed into the wall or frame of a window?). The reflector screen gives it a performance improvement over a panel. Otherwise you're probably looking at something you can put in the attic, and the GE you have now is one of the better performers in its class, at least for UHF.

gggplaya

Post by gggplaya » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:23 pm

I have that GE antenna in my attic, it's amazing and it's unamplified. I'm at the very edge of what TV Towers, same company that makes signal GH, says the towers can broadcast too. I get over 60% signal strength and over 80-90% signal quality. None of my channels break in or out. Everything is hardwired cat6 though.

Moving the antenna to the Atiic made the most difference in signal strength, I can hardly get anything just below the attic in my 2nd floor. However, my house has plaster and lathe interior walls and stucco siding with lots of gravel in the siding. The attic is just wood and normal shingles, and makes a huge difference in signal.

If you're still having network issues, I'd recommend you use the HDhomerun extend. On my ipad in my separate garage, I have to set my tuner to 480p transcode because wifi is so weak out there (all metal garage 100ft from the house). But at least I can watch my football on sunday while I work on my car. For a weaker signal inside the house, the Extend allows you to set it to HEAVY which is transcoded to h.264 from mpeg2 which cuts down on the amount of bandwidth required.

bglf83

Post by bglf83 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:22 pm

What does your TVfool report look like?