No Tuners Found (again and again)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Mark2013

No Tuners Found (again and again)

Post by Mark2013 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm

In February of 2019, SD sent me a "Connect". It was found and scanned channels and played TV without fault. That device died in July. Under warranty another, then another, then another "Connect" was shipped. Each and every time, with the same network hardware, firmware and software (I'll clarify, below) the device reports: "No Tuners Found".

Multiple contacts with Tech Support at SD, has not proved helpful. I received an email from them which is more-or-less a copy and paste from the Troubleshooting FAQ. I'll post that below here:

Check to make sure that the HDHomeRun has a good network connection, as indicated by the network LED on the device being solid green. The network LED is at the bottom of the network port.

[The "network LED" goes steady green, but it takes hours before the flashing green goes steady]

If the LED is blinking red or solid red, this indicates that the device does not have a network connection. Try a different network cable and port on your switch/router.

[done and done and done. Eventually with 3 "Connects" the network LED does go steady green, but the HDHomeRun app or software shows: "No Tuners Found" after a steady green LED]

If the LED is blinking green, this indicates that the device has a network connection, but has not received an IP address from your router via DHCP. Check to make sure that your router is powered on [the router is powered 24/7/365 and powered by an uninterruptable power supply.]

and has its DHCP server enabled. [I'm not a network engineer, but all other devices, television, blue-ray, computer, laptop, phone, tablet all have network connectivity]

If the router has any access control/allowed devices/MAC filtering function, either the HDHomeRun needs to be on the allowed list, or this function should be disabled. [this TP-Link Archer C7 router's filtering is disabled]

If the network LED is solid green, then the HDHomeRun has an address. If you're using a wireless connection, make sure that you are on the primary network and not a guest network (guest networks typically block access to local devices on the network). If you are on the main wireless network, please instead try a wired connection. If the wired connection works but wireless does not, then the most likely cause is your router blocking certain kinds of WiFi traffic. Check the router’s configuration for anything with the word broadcast in it, or anything like wireless partition/isolation/segmentation, and try toggling those options. [The computer, raspberry pi, blue ray, A/V amp, and TV all use a wired connection to the router (some through unmanaged switches). AFAIK, no traffic is being blocked, as I say again, the original device worked and no changes have been made to this network's hardware, firmware or software/apps by me. If in some unusual way the "Connect" has modified any of that, I have no idea as to what to do next about it.]

If you are on a wired connection and it is still not discovered, if you have the PC configured to use a static IP address, check to make sure that the subnet mask entered exactly matches what the router is assigning via DHCP. Any mismatch, no matter how small, can prevent discovery of the device from working. [This router (and wifi) automagically issue DHCP IP addresses to devices.]

Always connect the HDHR to your main router, and not to any WiFi extenders, even if the extender provides a physical Ethernet port. [The "Connect device has been connected in every possible configuration, directly to the router, and sometimes through unmanaged switches. Again, the original device worked, connected through an unmanaged switch. Why wouldn't 3 more of them not do the same?]

Make sure you are not connected to a VPN. [There is no VPN]

If you're using a Windows PC, disable any 3rd party anti-virus software (Norton, McAfee, AVG, etc). These can block network traffic that is needed to detect the HDHR. [There is no anti-virus software. More technically, there is some but it is disabled. And in any case, the original "Connect" worked flawlessly with the anti-virus enabled.]

No changed have been made to this network since the original "Connect" worked. No hardware changes, no firmware changes, no additional software or apps that could interfere, block or fail to work with the HDHomeRun device or devices.

rrussis82

Re: No Tuners Found (again and again)

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

could your router be blocking it? try resetting it to factory defaults

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 am

I believe you mentioned you were running DD-WRT firmware on your router. Please make sure that the "filter multicast" option is turned off in the firewall settings.

Mark2013

Post by Mark2013 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:08 am

NedS wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 am
I believe you mentioned you were running DD-WRT firmware on your router. Please make sure that the "filter multicast" option is turned off in the firewall settings.
No joy.

Mark2013

Post by Mark2013 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:09 am

Doing a "hard reset" didn't help. Thnx.