Two simple set up questions - hoping for simple answers

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mayrog

Two simple set up questions - hoping for simple answers

Post by mayrog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:17 pm

I have a HomeRun Connect Duo and 3 TV's smartened up with Amazon FireTV sticks.

1. My router, a FritzBox 7640, has a configuration which supports directly attached USB drives functioning as an NSA. Client devices connect to the storage via http, ftp or smb protocols and it works well. The HDHR setup program recognises the router in the NSA setup and displays a square with text "7640" overlaid with a question mark but without any hint about how to proceed. I can browse to the NSA address via the other part of the setup but it won't connect because it insists that the NSA address is to a "forbidden" network drive.

2. Is there any way of masking unwanted channels in the setup. In australia we have a government broadcaster than includes a stack of foreign language audio channels that are of absolutely no interest to me and they tend to clog up the otherwise useful DVR Guide function.

I have got the DVR function working on a dedicated Windows NUC but this is not really satisfactory when the router/NSA does have ample capacity for the amount of recording that I do.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Two simple set up questions - hoping for simple answers

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm

To use a NAS (network attached storage) as a storage location you "need" to run the record engine on the nas itself... I highly suggest not even thinking of using a router for such as it has much more important things to do and often to get an engine to work on one you end up disabling some of the security the router needs.

To disable channels you click the star twice (first marks it as a favorite, next click disables, (click the x to reenable).

mayrog

Re: Two simple set up questions - hoping for simple answers

Post by mayrog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 am

Thanks for that.

Your comment about mixing NSA & ruter functions if probably generally correct with exception that the router I have is a rather upmarket German design which makes a feature of its inbuilt NSA function - it has worked well for me so far but I'll admit it strains a bit with more than two simultaneous HD videos.

The comment about double clicking the stars will obviously solve my redundant channel problem. I guess I'll find the appropriate channel list in the device running the HDHomerun s/w which is currently located in my WIN 10 NUC "NSA". I'll look for it tomorrow.

Thanks again.