Network Difficulties

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Coi

Network Difficulties

Post by Coi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:30 pm

I've had my HDHomerun Prime working flawlessly for a few years now, until one day it went out. I thought it was my router that was the problem, so I reset it and set up a new network. Ever since then (a couple of months) I haven't been able to get my HDHomerun Prime to work. I recently changed out the cable card and had Spectrum pair the new card. That didn't change anything.

My 2 Left lights are a solid green, but anytime I go into WMC or the HDHomerun tuner I get a blinking light on the 1st tuner and no picture.

When I go to the main setup screen the status shows:

Card Authentication - success
Card OOB Lock - success
Card Validation - success

Message - Network difficulties Please try again.

When I look at my network in Windows 7, I see my computer, and under media it shows the HDHomerun DMS and HDHomerun DRI Tuner.

Am I missing an easy setting?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Network Difficulties

Post by signcarver » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 pm

What frequency did it try to tune... do you have/need a tuning adapter?

When I moved to an rfog location, my SD channels are still in the cablecard map, but they do not deliver any SD channels when HD is available in the rfog locations (nothing on the frequency it says to tune), as a result if my TA acts up, I get similar behavior as it tries to tune a channel that isn't there (the TA redirects such requests to the HD channel)... a few months later some non-rfog locations also behaved this way but there are a few areas near me that still get the SD channels.

The other thing was you mentioned you reset your router, often when this is done, windows treats it as if you are on a new network so make sure it is "private" (home) and not public. Over the years there have been several 3rd party security/anti-malware packages that have been very bad with WMC... I only suggest using the microsoft firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (defender) when it comes to WMC... I have even seen programs such as MBAM cause issues if the active protection is ever activated (even if later turned off).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:16 pm

"Network difficulties, please try again" indicates the tuning adapter was not able to get tuning information for the channel because the network was not available, this being the network between the TA and the cable provider, not your local network. Reboot the TA, check the wiring, and make sure everything comes up normally on the tuning resolver menu, then try again. If the issue persists, call your provider.

Coi

Post by Coi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 pm

You guys were both spot on with the TA. I reset it again tonight and now everything works as it should. I know I did this in the past, but it didn’t correct itself then 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for all the info.