Homerun CONNECT suddenly stopped working

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
crozilla

Homerun CONNECT suddenly stopped working

Post by crozilla » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Have a model HDHR4-2US that's been working fine for years, suddenly I can no longer find it on the network. Ethernet light is steady green, lights boot up with the sequence, the only change recently has been an update to my Mac's OS (now at 10.13.6) -- it went down shortly after that, I think. I've checked the firewall, even turned it off briefly to see if I could detect the unit, but nothing. Haven't changed anything in the router, any other ideas?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Homerun CONNECT suddenly stopped working

Post by signcarver » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Can you reach it's web page? Does it show up at my.hdhomerun.com ?

I have not seen this issue with the 4th gen, but almost every 5th gen I have seen, at least , and usually just, once got into a state where one had to unplug power and ethernet for several hours before it actually worked on the network again.

crozilla

Post by crozilla » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Yes, it does show up there. It's super weird, because it's been working for years now with PLEX. Today, I noticed that the program guide wasn't loading, and that PLEX can't find the thing. If I put in the IP address manually, it works until "Unable to load channel mappings." I reset my modem/router back to default settings, but still no luck.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:47 am

I'm not a plex person but that error sounds like you have a 3rd gen with upgraded firmware that hasn't had a channel scan from windows as it doesn't maintain its lineup (there is a lot of software out there that if it reports a lineup it uses that, modern firmware for legacy equipment point to SD's servers for the lineup... since yours is a 4th gen, which isn't legacy and thus maintains its own lineup, run a channel scan on the device (i prefer from its web page) and see if things improve.

In some cases, resetting a router causes a computer to think it is on a new network which may need firewall rules reapplied.

Device discovery is a udp packet to a broadcast address so devices must be in the same subnet. Too often I have seen one incorrectly use a router as a switch (thus segregating the lan), or have a vpn/proxy service running that does not allow such broadcast to work (while still allowing http to work locally) but that error message seems to imply you need to run a channel scan.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 pm

What's the device ID for the HDHomeRun?

Do you have any third-party security/firewall/web filtering programs installed on the computer? You ruled out the Mac firewall by disabling it, but it could still be some other program (Little Snitch is one a lot of Mac people seem to use) interfering.

crozilla

Post by crozilla » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:30 pm

PLEX can't find the device automatically (even though it's listed in my router's LAN list as ON) and it lets me add the HDHR manually, but then I ultimately get "Unable to load channel mappings." Very annoying.

Okay, I just tried the Config App on my Mac and it found both tuners! Also, the HDHomeRun App shows me TV, so apparently this is a PLEX issue now. Thanks for all the help.