Amplified antenna & connect quattro

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
KY_Cat

Amplified antenna & connect quattro

Post by KY_Cat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a jam. I just bought my first antenna and HD homerun. I'm excited to use the product with my plex server because I've read nothing but positive things. I tested my Mohu sail (amplified) on my tv and it was getting great reception on all the channels I wanted. I plug it in to my homerun and then all of a sudden it doesn't see detect any channels. I take off the amplifier and it picks up most of the channels I want, but is lacking some key ones I bought the antenna for. I need the amplification to pick up those channels. Is there a way to make the quattro and amplified antenna work, or do I have to go with a different tuner than the quattro?

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Amplified antenna & connect quattro

Post by jasonl » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on the HDHomeRun and run a channel scan with the amplifier off (see https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun so we can check the logs and see what the signals look like.

KY_Cat

Post by KY_Cat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Device ID number: 10770659

It recognized the channels for a minute or two earlier today but then it doesn't after I ran the channel scan that you just told me to run. I am missing ABC, FOX, Ion, and a few more channels when I run the scan without the amplifier.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Can you repeat the scan with the amplifier powered? I'd like to compare the numbers to see if it's the amplifier blocking the signals when unpowered (and therefore can be fixed by swapping the antenna for a good unamplified one) or if the signals are just weak, and the overload is coming from strong LTE signals, in which case adding an LTE filter would help.

KY_Cat

Post by KY_Cat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:14 pm

I ran it.

Edit: It's working with the amplifier now and getting all the channels!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Looks like an LTE issue. Guessing you're very close to a cell tower but relatively far away from the broadcast towers. The LTE signals are much stronger than the broadcast signals, and when boosted by the amplifier, they're overloading the input to the HDHomeRun. Adding an LTE filter should knock those down and allow the signals to come in normally. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-I ... B01JGSC5AO is the one I recommend.

KY_Cat

Post by KY_Cat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm only about 45 mile from the broadcast antennas, but I'm in view of a cell tower, so I bet you're right. Thanks for the help!

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 am

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm
Looks like an LTE issue. Guessing you're very close to a cell tower but relatively far away from the broadcast towers. The LTE signals are much stronger than the broadcast signals, and when boosted by the amplifier, they're overloading the input to the HDHomeRun. Adding an LTE filter should knock those down and allow the signals to come in normally. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-I ... B01JGSC5AO is the one I recommend.
Interesting.I just ordered the filter . I have been having trouble getting signals lately. I checked there are 74 towers in my area with one new one. The closest tv tower is 44 miles. Hopefully this will help. I was thinking the repak was causing my issues.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:33 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm
.... is the one I recommend.
Have you (yet) found any consumer priced LPFs(*) preparing for the 6xxMhz LTE roll-outs? While still a bit rare outside of some specific (mostly rural) locations, T-Mobile wants their low band LTE....

(*) Yes, I can get any specific frequency LPF I want to pay for, but I have not yet seen any consumer priced versions (yes, since there are still stations broadcasting in that range today, one has to know what one is doing, but I have to think ChannelMaster (and their ilk) have to have the new LPFs ready somewhere just waiting for mid-2020).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Not yet, though I haven't really been looking. Not seeing anything in a quick search. There is an old one with the model LPF-600 out there, but that probably won't work for a lot of people since it would likely knock out 36 and maybe 35. They really ought to be available now since T-Mobile has already lit up band 71 in a lot of places and has more going up each month.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:40 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 pm
Not yet, though I haven't really been looking. Not seeing anything in a quick search. There is an old one with the model LPF-600 out there, but that probably won't work for a lot of people since it would likely knock out 36 and maybe 35. They really ought to be available now since T-Mobile has already lit up band 71 in a lot of places and has more going up each month.
Agreed (on all points). I just figured that you might have noticed something I had missed. Mostly I am just thinking ahead to add a few such 6xxMHz LPFs to my toolbox of random RF accessories for when (not if) they are needed to address specific situations (and while some items can arrive in Prime time, that does not help when I am up on the roof or in the attic right now).

You (as in SD) might want to add such things as LTE LPF filters (and the 5MHz HPF for some UK/EU countries?) to a RF FAQ somewhere so that it can be referred to (along with a big caveat that RF physics is harder than it appears in the mirror).

Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm a little hesitant to put anything up since it really needs a review of the scan to determine if there's a likely interference problem or if it's something else entirely.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:40 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:29 pm
I'm a little hesitant to put anything up since it really needs a review of the scan to determine if there's a likely interference problem or if it's something else entirely.
What I am suggesting is not a "add this" to fix a problem list, but a list of known products and sources (where known) to refer to for when the problem or requirements is identified. Just like some have occasionally provided a list of the known high quality splitter manufacturers for reference purposes (which do not include the cheap "gold" splitters).

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:22 am

gtb wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:40 pm
You (as in SD) might want to add such things as LTE LPF filters (and the 5MHz HPF for some UK/EU countries?) to a RF FAQ somewhere so that it can be referred to (along with a big caveat that RF physics is harder than it appears in the mirror).
They (as in SD) should consider carrying that kind of thing on shop.silicondust.com along with quality splitters, various lengths of coax, network patch cables and a variety of attenuators. Maybe even larger items like network switches or additional antenna models. Anything that can be used with Silicondust hardware could be there. Even if the profit margin is negligible for the smaller items Google searches would steer potential tuner hardware and DVR customers to the sales website. Nobody finds the Silicondust sales website by accident with the items carried there today.