How to stop recording on NAS and use SERVIO

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Kensonic

How to stop recording on NAS and use SERVIO

Post by Kensonic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 pm

HDHomeRun,

I received my new Servio today and was able to install it on my GB ethernet home network and update its firmware. I couldn't find any way to setup the Servio in the installation notes. Also, there is nothing in the Windows 10 HDHomeRun setup program either. I did notice that a new device shows up, but it is not identified (just says nothing in the source column). I assume it is the Servio. The HDHomeRun client on my FireTV shows the SERVIO in the Settings/Account Information/ Devices page. However, I want to stop using my NAS for recording (to free up disc space) and have the Servio handle all of the recording duties. I can't find anything on how to do this. It appears that now it is still using the NAS. How can I configure this? Also, there was no way to "redeem" the include 1 year of guide service nor any indication that it has been added to my account.

Thanks,

Kensonic

NedS
Silicondust

Re: How to stop recording on NAS and use SERVIO

Post by NedS » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:52 pm

When the SERVIO popped up on that Account Information screen and you press "continue", it gets linked to your existing DVR account and will amend the year of included DVR service to that account.

If you don't have any recordings on the NAS that you still want accessible, the easiest thing to do would be to just uninstall the HDHomeRun DVR software from the NAS. If you used the Windows NAS install tool then you only need to delete the "HDHomeRun" directory and the files inside of it, then reboot the NAS. If you used another install method, let me know what brand of NAS it is and I can probably walk you through it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Make sure all your engines are on the latest version and make sure you are on the most recent firmware on servio (typically this will be installed by latest mac or windows software (not app))

Add the line RecordStreamsMax=0 to the hdhomerun.conf file and restart the engine on your nas (this will allow it to continue to serve the content it has recorded and not have that content recorded again, while not allowing it to record). Personally I have not seen it not default to a servio or scribe when they are on the network, provided all engines are on latest to support multiple engines but supposedly which engine records is based on available space.

The free year is supposed to be "automatic" but last I heard they were still finalizing things for those on early access (your account is based on your registered tuners)

Kensonic

Post by Kensonic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:44 pm

I added the line RecordStreamsMax=0 to the hdhomerun.conf file on my Synology DS216J NAS and did a restart. All of the recordings on the NAS disappeared and nothing would record even though the Recording page on the FireTV client displayed a message saying that my DVR was ready to record. Everything was up to date. I still see the Servio on the new Setup page on the Fire TV HDHomeRun client, but I don't think it is doing anything. I removed the line from the config file on the NAS, rebooted the NAS and then reinstalled the NAS as the DVR using the Windows 10 PC HDHomeRun Setup program. Everything came back, but I'm back to square one. Bummer,

Thanks,

Ken

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:05 pm

How did you (originally) install to the NAS? Did you use demonrik's package? From your post, I see you most recently did an install from windows, and typically that is not what you want as it wouldn't autostart for synology (which sounds like the issue you had). Are you on latest version of engine (when I used the latest windows beta installer, it still installed release rather than beta to NAS and I had to manually install on the NAS? Anything that would prevent the nas from seeing the servio (or vice versa). Have you updated the Servio (it shipped with an older firmware that needed replaced "immediately")? Can the servio see the tuners?