CableCard Validation None

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
arandazz

CableCard Validation None

Post by arandazz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 pm

I have Verizon FIOS with two prime tuners that were working flawlessly for years.
I disconnected one of the primes and gave it to a friend. He had issues connecting the prime to his network and never installed a cable card.
I took back the prime and decided to hook it up again. I put the old cable card back in and booted it up. I did a channel scan and was missing all DRM channels. I checked the tuner status page and found the Card Validation: none. I called verizon and had them reactivate it. They sent the activation signal multiple times and the Card Validation always remained none. I could see in the logs that I was receiving a signal from them:
CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in progress
CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, validation needed
CableCARD: message: /get_cc_url? CableCARD///cp/auth

Any ideas why i could not get to success?
Verizon is sending another cable card.

gtb
Expert

Re: CableCard Validation None

Post by gtb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:21 am

arandazz wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:22 pm
Any ideas why i could not get to success?
Since you mention a time period of inactivity, if a CableCARD has not received its various EMMs for an extended time period (those messages are constantly sent in the background to keep the CableCARD aware it is still part of the greater collective), it can eventually go stale, and can require a higher level activation sequence than just the final validation step. CableCARDs can require three steps, a DAC INIT (configures the card, sometimes called a grand-slam init/hit, cold hit, or dac init hit), a HIT (sends maps and services), and a Validation Hit (validates the card is useable), none of those terms may be known by any CSR at any specific company (and the names the company uses in their docs may be entirely different still(*)), although typically if the issue gets escalated someone will know how to use the bigger hammer(s). It should also be noted that using the bigger hammer(s) can result in the CableCARD and the Host creating a new Data ID, which means the information needs to be adjusted with the MSO to get the validation to complete.
Verizon is sending another cable card.
That will likely fix it (unless VZ had the CableCARD sitting on their shelf for an extended period before shipping it out).

(*) CableCARD user numbers are in the less than 1% number, so a CSR may simply not have any experience or memory with the few, and the rare, so even if they have (in theory) dealt with a CableCARD, they likely have forgotten. That is why some MSOs have a dedicated CableCARD support team (and some have apparently decided to disband them because their is so little need?), because those people have seen it, done it, have the t-shirt (and can even walk you through TE3 and TE4 screens(**) to get the info they need to know what is what).

(**) Of those less than 1%, the majority tend to be the T-company customers. TE3 and TE4 is the current UIs for that company.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't know if it's changed, but the magic words for Verizon used to be "manual validation". Sometimes they try to do automatic, which requires that you be using a device that can phone home with the pairing information, i.e. one of their STBs. Since retail CableCARD devices can't phone home, automatic will never work.

The other thing to watch for is to see if the Data number is changing. If it is, that means they're unpairing or resetting the card before they send the validation signal, which generates the new Data number. If they then try to validate using the old number, it fails because they don't match. They either need to not do that, or they need to enter the new Data number in before they try to validate.

Note that the get_cc_url message is not an indication that the device is receiving anything from the cable provider. CableCARDs have an internal web server that hosts all the pages you can access under the CableCARD Menu screen, and that's the URL to access the CableCARD Pairing page. It's the CableCARD's way of telling the host to display that screen because the card isn't validated.

arandazz

Post by arandazz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:18 pm

I looked back at the previous chat session with Verizon and found the data id I gave them is different from what the pairing menu is now showing. I contacted Verizon and gave them the new data id and cable card instantly activated.

Thanks for the help!