Scribe Duo/Quatro comparison question

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
a3p3g

Scribe Duo/Quatro comparison question

Post by a3p3g » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:48 pm

This may not be the right spot for this but wasn't sure where to start. I currently am a Tablo customer (formerly their standard network DVR and last couple of years their Engine product that runs directly as an app on the Nvidia shield and recording to a USB hard drive (usb tuner in the back of the Shield). The really good things w/ this setup is very fast channel changing (compared to their network tuner that takes up to 10-15 seconds to change the channel), 5.1 sound and simple interface

Because of the setup of our home I have our OTA antenna going into the basement (which goes to a Plex server w/ live tv for testing) and then splits out and wraps around the house to where our TV is and into the Shield/Tablo setup. That extra run seems to be an issue w/ the signal causing conflicts w/ skipping, etc. I have tested the signal at that end point and the actual signal strength is almost perfect but there must be periodic drop outs or the run is just too long. Anyways i've tested the same channels on Plex live tv which is located at the first hop in the basement and no issues. Plex is great but ease of use for the family isnt quite there yet so i like the idea of an app on the shield which is where my question about HDhomerun comes in as i've never used this product.

I am considering the new Scribe box which i'd just have sitting in the basement at that first hope for a better signal and use the app on the shield. My main questions are:

1. With this product how quick / slow is channel changing? since its a network tuner i didnt know what kind of buffer delay there is
2. I believe there is 5.1 surround sound through the app right?
3. Is there any way to test drive the software interface w/out actually buying one of the tuners? i was curious to see how navigation and interface feels compared to what we're used to w/ Tablo before we plunk down $$ on the scribe

thank you for the help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Scribe Duo/Quatro comparison question

Post by jasonl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Channel changing is very quick with basically no buffering time. It doesn't convert and repackage the audio and video like the other network device you're talking about, which is where most of the delay comes from.

5.1 surround sound is available on most platforms. There are certain devices that have issues with it, mostly Fire TV. Fire TVs work fine if you have the Fire TV device connected to your surround sound receiver via HDMI and can pass decoded audio straight to it, but have issues with passing through the original audio, which is needed if you've got the Fire TV connected to the TV and use ARC to send the sound back to the receiver. The Shield handles everything properly.

The only way to use the app is with an HDHomeRun device present. There are a number of videos on Youtube that show the app, but I don't know if any are showing the new interface that came out a couple weeks ago, which has some big changes in parts of the app to make it easier to use.

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 pm

thank you for the info! thats all good to know!

i've been trying to find any screenshots/videos/info on the new UI but still not having any luck. if you know of any would you mind sharing?

do you have any experience w/ the new Scribe boxes? i think those would be equivalent to the standalone tablo network boxes right?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm

a3p3g wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 pm
thank you for the info! thats all good to know!

i've been trying to find any screenshots/videos/info on the new UI but still not having any luck. if you know of any would you mind sharing?

do you have any experience w/ the new Scribe boxes? i think those would be equivalent to the standalone tablo network boxes right?
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/app

a3p3g

Post by a3p3g » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 pm

awesome thank you. and thats the new UI ? i dont have any experience w/ HDHR (only ****, tablo and plex) so wasnt sure if that is new or old

does anyone have any feedback on the scribe box? been out a bit now and suprised theres not much for reviews out or anything