Channels have disappeared with new firmware?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
AllOTA

Channels have disappeared with new firmware?

Post by AllOTA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Not sure if the threshold for channels has changed with the new firmwares for the HDHomeRun Connect Duo, but I used to be able to get a handful of channels and now I can only get 8. I'm pretty close to the towers, but using an indoor antenna. With the same antenna connected to my LG tv, it reports the signal strength as being 40-60%. The quality ends up being high, so many channels are watchable with an artifact here and there. I even picked up a new antenna (Clearstream 2Max), thinking my old cheap flat one had gone bad. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my channels back and I don't see any way to manually tune them with the HDHomerun.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've enabled logging and just ran a scan. My device info is below:

Hardware Model HDHR5-2US
Firmware Version 20190715beta1
Device ID 10612BEF

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Channels have disappeared with new firmware?

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 pm

40-60% strength reported by a tv probably won't pick those channels up.

You should probably post your area as there can be a number of things wrong from antenna choice to tower work.

I'd also look at hdhomerun_config (gui or not) and run a scan or manually check channels.

Usually when someone says close to the towers the problem is being over driven and there is no way close should ever report 50-60% strength unless wrong antenna or work going on.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 pm

AllOTA wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 pm
Not sure if the threshold for channels has changed with the new firmwares for the HDHomeRun Connect Duo, but I used to be able to get a handful of channels and now I can only get 8. I'm pretty close to the towers, but using an indoor antenna. With the same antenna connected to my LG tv, it reports the signal strength as being 40-60%. The quality ends up being high, so many channels are watchable with an artifact here and there. I even picked up a new antenna (Clearstream 2Max), thinking my old cheap flat one had gone bad. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my channels back and I don't see any way to manually tune them with the HDHomerun.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've enabled logging and just ran a scan. My device info is below:

Hardware Model HDHR5-2US
Firmware Version 20190715beta1
Device ID 10612BEF

Thanks!
Signal quality is coming in too low. HDHomeRun won't be able to lock on if it's below 60%.

AllOTA

Post by AllOTA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 am

So my zip code is 22203. There is construction between me and the towers. Is there anything I can do to bump up the signal enough for the HDHomerun to get them again?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm

AllOTA wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 am
So my zip code is 22203. There is construction between me and the towers. Is there anything I can do to bump up the signal enough for the HDHomerun to get them again?
Depends on the details, but amplifying a poor quality signal just makes a poor signal louder. Sometimes the only solution is a taller antenna tower (the towers themselves are a lot cheaper than many might imagine, but proper installation often not so much). Sometimes you *might* be able to point the antenna somewhere else (off direction) to get a different (reflected) signal or attenuate the signal differently (specific details (often with a detailed RF analysis of your specific environment, not generic zipcodes) required).

Sometimes the reality of OTA is that cable, satellite, or OTT ends up being the only remaining viable solutions if waiting until the DVDs are made available does not work for you.

That all being said, the greater Washington area is in the middle of one of the phases of transitions, so some stations likely are in lower power/alternative transmitters, so you may wish to wait until mid-august to see if things get different.

AllOTA

Post by AllOTA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Luckily I'm not super broken up about it, more just annoyed that I've put time and money into it and I'm not able to get the results that I had before. I don't have a lot of room for a tall tower, just being in a town house. There's a roof area but for some reason I was getting the most reliable signal inside (at the same height). Once the signal strength was high enough, the signal quality was often around 100%. I tried attaching a cheap signal booster that came with one of my flat antennas but that just made things worse... not sure if it's just because it was a no-name USB powered booster or what.

One odd thing I tried was connecting it to a 3way splitter, which allowed the HDHomeRun to lock onto a few more channels but they ended up being very choppy. I wouldn't expect the splitter to help unless I was getting an overpowered signal, though.

Weber5912

Post by Weber5912 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 pm

I’m experiencing the same issue. I recently “upgraded” the firmware version on both my connect and extend and neither device can now see any of the 30 plus channels each was able to tune before. Shortly after the upgrade I started receiving “weak signal” errors when trying to tune a previously tunable channel. I tried to rescan each device an the extend now identifies zero channels and the connect identifies three. Is there a way to revert to the previous firmware version until this issue is corrected?

wags1

Post by wags1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:23 am

Something definitely changed with the latest update. I have lost most of my channels. In particular my local news and weather channels on my local station (WFMZ-TV channel 69 Lehigh Valley/Berks County PA, 69.1-3) which were always the ones that I had no trouble tuning whatsoever. They came in fine prior to the update. Now they are gone, along with some other channels. This is not a marginal reception issue.

wags1

Post by wags1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 am

I'm guessing they have an issue with their channel database. For example, looking at the HDHomerun channel editor under the "Tune" column I used to get a bunch of channels listed as CH9-XX, CH36-xx, CH38-xx, and CH45-xx. If I do a scan now I don't get any of those channels.

wags1

Post by wags1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Looks like SiliconDust fixed the issue as I just did a scan and all my channels are back and are working as before. Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:18 pm

We did nothing (and have no ability to do anything remotely, for that matter). There is a lot of tower work going on right now in preparation for a bunch of channel moves happening on/before August 2. Washington DC is affected, as are most of the TV markets in the northeast, including Philly, Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Wilkes-Barre, NYC, Hartford, Boston, Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, Buffalo, and Binghamton. This work often involves workers climbing towers to replace antennas and the cables that feed them, and when they do that, stations on that tower and on nearby towers usually have to switch to backup antennas or run at low power so they don't cook the people doing the work. This always means a reduction in coverage area, because the backups are never as good as the main one; they're usually lower down in elevation and have less power, and in some cases they're not even particularly close to the same location, and that limits the coverage, especially in more distant areas. One that came up last week was Fox 5 in NYC. Their main broadcast site is the new World Trade Center building in Manhattan, but their backup is several miles west and about 600' lower down in New Jersey. Their main transmitter has pretty good coverage out to about halfway out Long Island, but the backup fades pretty fast by the time you reach the eastern edge of Queens. It's not always this dramatic, but if you live in any of these areas (or other places around the country that are in this phase) you can expect to see issues through next Friday.

The next phase happens in early September, and primarily affects the south (Carolinas, Georgia, northern Florida, Alabama, etc.), then in October it's mostly on Illinois, Indiana, western Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee.