HD homerun prime - network light red

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
redrum448

HD homerun prime - network light red

Post by redrum448 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 am

Is there any way to fix a (possible) dead NIC in a HD homerun prime? Does Silicondust repair these?

As of last week mine has a red light and no network connection (I have tried multiple ports on multiple switches with multiple network cables- I am a network engineer as well).

Everything else seems to be fine.

thanks in advance!

DRMsucks

Re: HD homerun prime - network light red

Post by DRMsucks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:30 am

redrum448 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 am
Is there any way to fix a (possible) dead NIC in a HD homerun prime? Does Silicondust repair these?

As of last week mine has a red light and no network connection (I have tried multiple ports on multiple switches with multiple network cables- I am a network engineer as well).

Everything else seems to be fine.

thanks in advance!
Just a couple of more steps to add to your troubleshooting protocol.

1. Try connecting the other end of your cable to desktop switch with nothing else on it. See if you get a green link light.

2. Pull all the plugs on your Prime box and leave it for 20 minutes to ensure the power has drained. Then plug it back in and see what you get.

My thought with 1 is there may be a DHCP issue. All the desktop switch will do is eliminate the hardware issue.

My thought with 2 is the basic Windows mentality. When it doubt, do a hard reset/reboot.

I hope something comes out of it. Good luck!

redrum448

Post by redrum448 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:57 pm

So it seems the device wont auto negotiate speeds anymore. I have to set it to 10meg or 100meg but if plugged into a gig switch it wont drop its speed to 100 it will just flash a red light.

Owell i just forced that port to 100meg and Im good to go...... (thank god!)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I used to have that problem with consumer/prosumer netgear switches and primes. What would happen with them was right after it negotiated speed, half way through the dhcp handshake, it would drop to renegotiate. I blame the switch as i had a few routers, a switch, and another device that also behaved this way with 6 of their switches. Didn't matter cable (crossover/straight) but one could use a 4 wire (pin) cable to force 100. What's interesting is computers never seemed to have issue though occasionally I would see them also change speed.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 am

I had this problem this morning. Turned out to be a faulty power supply. I unplugged it from the wall and let it sit for a couple minutes it never came back up to full power when I plugged it back in, the second tuner light would flicker and nothing else. I checked it with a voltmeter and it was only putting out 4.1v so I replaced it and now everything is fine.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 pm

This happened to a second tuner today. I replaced power supply (wall wart) and the tuner is now fully functional.

This made me think it might be a good idea to add a B+/Vcc voltage item to the tuner menu in the firmware for troubleshooting

I say this because, in addition to the network connection dropping completely this morning, my Xbox 360 had been complaining about bandwidth issues for the last week or so whenever I changed channels. That has also cleared up.

I think it might be an indication that the power supply voltage is starting to sag and may eventually fail.

Just a thought.