Daisy chaining SDVs?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jachin99

Daisy chaining SDVs?

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am

I grabbed a Ceton Eth 6 a while back, and I would like to use it along side my Prime. I'm trying to figure out if I need to split my current cabling and use a dedicated splitter for the Ceton, or if I can simply connect the output from my current SDV to the input on my 2nd SDV. Can I hook my SDVs together like this, or should I just grab another splitter, and MOCA barrel adapter and use a dedicated circuit for the Ceton? My cable company didn't include the MOCA barrel adapter with my 2nd SDV so I'm not sure where I can get one of those. Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Daisy chaining SDVs?

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 am

Motorola or cisco TA (not that you get to choose)...

Neither should have the output go to another TA but with cisco TA's you can usually hook the output to a tuner (prime/ceton) as it should compensate for the loss but the motorola TA drops the output almost as much as a 4 way splitter so it is "always" best to split before and "never" use it's output. Occasionally I will come across a cisco TA that has weak low and/or high end signal output so I usually recommend to split with them as well.

Depending on signal strength, I would most likely attach the moca filter to the "wall" then run a 4 way splitter off that (may need a short cable) then an output to the prime, an output to the ceton, and an output to each TA but it really depends on what your signal is like and with a cisco TA it may need to be a 2 way to the TA's and run each tuner device off the output of TA. But it really depends on the signal levels.

The reason I would put everything off the MoCA filter is all of the devices (TA's/tuners) will benefit and should have MoCA filtered out. There are other reasons to have such on each device but sometimes you have to use what you have.

jachin99

Re: Daisy chaining SDVs?

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks for the help. No grabbed a 4 way splitter so hopefully I can get everything up and running