Questions about Extend

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
cordcutternewbie

Questions about Extend

Post by cordcutternewbie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am

On this forum I asked lots of questions about the Prime! Now I have questions about the Extend.

I'll explain the hardware that I have & how it's set up. I hope that will expedite things.

I have FIOS.

I live in an apartment. I have 2 TVs. I have a 55" smart TV in the living room & a 23" dumb TV in the utility room.

The only wired connection to the 55" TV is a coax cable. It attaches to the FIOS HD DVR. An HDMI cable connects the set-top box (STB) to the TV.

In the utility room is the ONT & the router. A coax cable comes out of the ONT into a 3-way coax splitter. One coax goes to the router, one coax goes to the FIOS STB & one coax goes to the 55" TV.

I haven't decided what I want to do. I can:
1) Pay FIOS for local channels & PBS only & stream the rest.
2) I can pay FIOS for internet only & stream everything including local channels & PBS.
3) I can do nothing.

I don't want to buy 2 HD antennas & 2 OTA tuner boxes. I want 1 HD antenna & 1 OTA box with 2 internal tuners. That's why I'm interested in the Extend. I know that the Extend has to be physically connected to the router. I plan to put the antenna & the Extend in the utility room.

This is where I get confused. The 55" has networking included. The 23" dumb TV doesn't have a LAN connector. It has an ANT connector & 1 HDMI connector. I'm thinking about replacing it with a bigger smart TV like a 32". Would it make things simpler for me if I replace the dumb TV with a smart TV?

So, how do I connect the 2 TVs so that they share 1 antenna? On the 23" TV do I disconnect the coax cable from the STB & connect it to the ANT on the 23" TV & wirelessly connect the 55" TV?

How do I view the cable channels? I haven't decided whether to drop cable & stream or keep cable. I'd rather not switch back & forth from the OTA box to the FIOS box.

markfromBrooklyn

Re: Questions about Extend

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm

The Extend only works with OTA channels received through an antenna. It does not work with cable channels from Fios.
As discussed in earlier replies to your inquiry about the Prime, to use an Extend you would need a device such as a Fire, or Android device, or a Windows 10 computer, etc connected to each television and to your network. WiFi or wired. Depending on where you live an indoor antenna may be sufficient. There is no way to use it with cable.

cordcutternewbie

Post by cordcutternewbie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Well, darn!

I was hoping that you'd tell me to connect a LAN cable from the router to the TV.

OK, then. Thank you for your help.

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Some very new Smart TVs might be able to work with an Extend or a Prime but an add on device would be much less expensive and likely to be supported longer.

If you only want live over the air TV ( rather than DVR ) you can connect the antenna directly to each TV. ( assuming they have TV tuners built in as most TVs do ). You could use two antennas or one antenna with a splitter. That would require a cable from the splitter to each TV.

Any of the SiliconDust tuners must be connected to your router, and require another device such as Fire, and Android device, or other client connected to each television. Only the Prime will work with Cable TV with a CableCard. The Extend requires an antenna.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I have Two connects attached to one Antenna and Spectrum choice cable package. Channels Dvr streams and records live OTA and Tv everywhere apps.

cordcutternewbie

Post by cordcutternewbie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:07 pm

My dumb tv doesn't have networking. It would have to be connected to a box with an HDMI out that can receive wireless or wired signals from router. Does HDHomeRun make such a device?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Fios does carry the local broadcast channels in clear QAM format that the EXTEND can receive, so you don't necessarily need an antenna if you subscribe to the local channel only package from Fios (option 1 is viable). This is not true of most other providers, but since Verizon can turn off service remotely on an ONT by ONT basis, they do not need to encrypt the local channels to prevent theft of service the way other providers do. We do have quite a few customers using Fios for the local channels. You would still need a CableCARD and HDHomeRun PRIME device for anything beyond the local channels.

We do not make anything that connects to the TV. We can't compete effectively in that arena for various reasons, so we stick to creating apps for the various devices other companies make.

cordcutternewbie

Post by cordcutternewbie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:24 am

OK, thank you for answering my questions.