HDHomeRun Prime - TerryB

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
TerryB

HDHomeRun Prime - TerryB

Post by TerryB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:33 pm

I just got a Prime and trying to get the cable card. I am with Sprectrum and the sales guy tried to tell me that I had to take their **** unit in addition to the cable card. I told him that I didn't believe that and suddenly I didn't have to get the **** but I could get the card by itself.

Now when I asked him about channels he tried to tell me that without using their tuner that I could only get the first 99 channels even though they would have to charge me for the full package of 120. Has anyone else been told this? I don't believe what they are telling me but I need some additional information.

thanks

Terry

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Prime - TerryB

Post by jasonl » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:00 pm

You can get the full channel lineup with an HDHomeRun PRIME and a CableCARD. Most areas require the use of a tuning adapter to do this, but they will provide you with one. Make sure you explicitly request it since sometimes they forget.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you for your reply. One additional question though, what is the normal cost of the tuning adapter? trying to work out the cost savings of going this route.

thanks

Terry

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Usually for locations that need a tuning adapter, it is free (included with cablecard). There are some markets that charge. Not all spectrum markets need one. Usually former TWC/Brighthouse areas do, former charter areas depends on market, for awhile it looked as if they (charter) were doing away with them but then needed more physical channels for internet.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm with Spectrum (formerly Bright House) and, as SignCarver said, I am only charged for my 2 cablecards. The 2 tuning adapters were supplied at no charge.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 pm

I want to thank everyone for their replies. The people at the Spectrum office just gave me the impression that they did not really want to help me with this. Trying to tell me that there would be extra fees for the require **** box. That I would only get a portion of the channels from the package required with no discount.
I just knew they were trying to pull my leg and didn't fall for it. I cut the cord once with the Quatro and had no problems pulling everything OTA but there are just some channels that I want they you can only get from the package.

Now to find call them again and try to find someone that actually knows what they are doing.

thanks again

Terry

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 pm

One thing that you might want to know about using the cablecard: you cannot get any on-demand channels with it. So be aware of that going in. Other than that, I can get all of the channels available with my package using the cablecards, the same channels that we get with the actual cable box/DVR we have downstairs (the wife wanted to get on-demand channels). Good luck.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am

Charter has been moving a lot of non-SDV markets to SDV, so I expect TAs will be required in all markets eventually. It's cheaper than replacing all the ancient MPEG2-only boxes out there and moving to H.264.

I know some markets tried to charge for TAs back when they were first introduced, but I haven't heard of anything like that in years, so I suspect that went away quickly and quietly. I seem to remember the FCC has something that requires that channels available to their boxes must also be available to CableCARD devices (excluding VOD) which may conflict with trying to charge for a TA.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:35 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am
Charter has been moving a lot of non-SDV markets to SDV, so I expect TAs will be required in all markets eventually. It's cheaper than replacing all the ancient MPEG2-only boxes out there and moving to H.264.

I know some markets tried to charge for TAs back when they were first introduced, but I haven't heard of anything like that in years, so I suspect that went away quickly and quietly. I seem to remember the FCC has something that requires that channels available to their boxes must also be available to CableCARD devices (excluding VOD) which may conflict with trying to charge for a TA.
I don't feel like looking up the ruling (the FCC has annoyed me by "improving" their site), but TA's have to be free if the cable co chooses to use SDV.