Connect HDHomeRun to an access point

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
egeezer

Connect HDHomeRun to an access point

Post by egeezer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:29 pm

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router (AC1900), and an ASUS RT-AC66U (AC1750) router located in another room which is configured as an access point. To avoid having to run an ethernet cable through walls, I would like to connect a HDHomeRun Extend or Quattro to the gigabit ethernet port on the access point.

Can I wire the HDHomeRun to the gigabit ethernet port on the access point?
I have a strong wireless signal from the router to the access point.

Thanks for your help!

EG

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Connect HDHomeRun to an access point

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

"As an access point" means that there is an ethernet connection between the routers. If you're using a wireless connection between the routers, and the second router is also broadcasting the wireless network, that would be more accurately described as "as a repeater". With an ethernet connection between them and with the second router in AP mode, it will work. With the second router configured as a repeater it will probably work, but it just depends on the routers properly passing broadcast traffic between the devices, which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. Asus routers do tend to be more reliable about this than some others though.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:16 pm

I've seen too many people not use second routers properly as access points but instead as a secondary router. Many firmwares do allow one to put it in such wireless bridge or AP mode (to me AP mode should have a wired connection to the other router as it is being used as an AP... it can also be used as an extender/repeater but that is not optimal... I believe that series router it would be best to be set up as a media bridge rather than AP) but occasionally, I have seen them not pass broadcast traffic required for SD's software to work or completely isolate that device from the other lan it connects to. I have even seen some such modes put everything on the lan side of the My suggestion is to try but also suggest that if you have a DVR, make sure it is on the side where the HDHomeRun is connected as it is usually better if the primary connection of the device is wired to the DVR and main viewing client. You will also have to watch out for issues that may result in having more than 1 dhcp server

egeezer

Post by egeezer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies!

It looks like it would be best to use devices like the Asus RT-AC86U or similarly performing units in a media bridge configuration unless there's an issue with DHCP. These are gigabit capable WiFi and Ethernet devices where the media bridge would be located on the floor directly above the router.
In addition to requiring a 100baseTX (or greater) LAN connection,The marketing information for the EXTEND states;
Unlike the CONNECT and PRIME which only stream raw mpeg2 HD streams, the EXTEND features a hardware h264 transcoder which can compress video in real-time for lower bandwidth usage.
The Asus routers support AP, AImesh, repeater and media bridge modes. Since AP mode requires a cabled connection between the routers, that's not an option.

I presently use a ROKU via 5Ghz in the upstairs location that's connected wirelessly to the router on the floor below and it delivers HD to the TV with no issues. I'm hoping I can use an EXTEND. I assume that the EXTEND's H.264 transcoder would reduce the bandwidth for a stream to about 25Mbps per tuner if both stations are broadcasting 4K.

The documentation didn't say if the conversion was automatic or if the transcoder could be bypassed to deliver 8-VSB directly to the LAN. Ultimately, I will need to verify actual WiFi LAN speeds when the routers are positioned and configured.

Comments, suggestions or corrections welcome - again, thanks for your help and participation! I hope this topic and discussion will be useful to others considering a similar setup.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 pm

ATSC broadcasts top out at 1080i. Any potential 4K broadcasts would have to use ATSC 3.0, and there are only a handful of stations in the entire country using that, and it's pretty much impossible to find consumer-grade equipment that can receive it outside of Korea.

Regular ATSC has 19.39Mb/s available per broadcast, and most broadcasts in the US divide that up to carry multiple services, so the typical HD channel is somewhere in the 10-14Mb/s range, and transcoding would reduce that further.

The EXTEND has different transcode options available, including the option for none.