HDHomeRun SCRIBE & SERVIO is there a method to transfer video off the device to longterm storage? Also Guide Question

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ZippyTheChicken

HDHomeRun SCRIBE & SERVIO is there a method to transfer video off the device to longterm storage? Also Guide Question

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Question about the new devices

Right now I use Microsoft Media Center
Which for the next short while before it completely goes unsupported will offer two options

The ability to Archive Content from my computer to the NAS for long term storage ... such as a good movie or something

Free Guide Service that means I am not paying a Subscription Price for a Guide that is required to run my device.

So with the new DVR Versions of the Duo and Quatro .. the Scribe and Servio

Is there an easy method for transferring TV shows and movies to my computer over my network?
Something that hopefully has files that are named appropriately like Survivor-S42-E03.mp4 with meta in it for show info

Also do these devices REQUIRE a paid guide service?

Can they grab short term OTA Guide info?
Can they be programmed Manually to record from 8pm-9pm every thursday on channel 9-3?
Can I use the short term OTA info to set a Primetime Recording in the morning before I go to work?

Or can i use some type of third party guide.

.... I understand for best functionality these devices can be somewhat complex and best results would be subscribing to Silicondust's guide service

But I am at a point where I went with one of the SimpleTV devices and it sat on my shelf then they went out of business before i ever even used it.

So I have all of my TVs Hardwired with Coax from my antenna
I can also feed coax to my Win7 Media Center computer for OTA for recording.

There dosen't seem to be any info about it
whether there is a Kodi Plugin that will let me see the Scribe on my network
then within Kodi Schedule recordings
then on my windows desktop access those recordings and copy them to my computer
without having to play / stream them through VLC and save the stream as a file..

Is there a web interface or do i need an app for win10?

It is a complex question if you have no concept of what I am asking

It is a very easy question if you understand that people want to get these files off the device
and they also don't want a subscription service for OTA which is free... IF they just canceled Cable because they don't want to subscribe to cable...

$10 a month isn't much to some people.. to other people its a pizza or .. enough homemade lasagna to eat for a week... or part of another bill such as your internet... So I won't even debate the idea of paying for Guide Service.. for some people its fun .. for me no so much.

Anyway

those are my questions...
for now

thanks... and I think the idea is a really good one.. to support device level storage.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun SCRIBE & SERVIO is there a method to transfer video off the device to longterm storage? Also Guide Questio

Post by nickk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi,

Files are intelligently named on the filesystem and you can do a http request to fetch a recording.

The guide service is required - it is $35/year, with a free year for every SCRIBE or SERVIO you purchase.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HDHomeRun SCRIBE & SERVIO is there a method to transfer video off the device to longterm storage? Also Guide Questio

Post by signcarver » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Currently no way of moving anything to the device... that is said such is being worked on.

Both devices run SD's DVR, which save the ts with a .mpg extension (not that such matters for these devices as the way to get a copy would be like any other http download. Price is $35 per year but with purchase you get one year free.

The scribe is also a dual tuner that can be used the same as any other of SD's tuner.

Guide data is not "downloaded" and saved like it is with wmc, but rather is accessed by the DeviceAuth of the tuner by the client either as needed.

There is not a way to specify recording only by channwl/time as one must pick a show to record.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm
Currently no way of moving anything to the device...
Well, if you are willing to void the warrantee on a perfectly new device (which is usually a very bad idea), it was stated to be just another XFS file system..... Just saying....

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

gtb wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm
signcarver wrote:
Currently no way of moving anything to the device...
Well, if you are willing to void the warrantee on a perfectly new device (which is usually a very bad idea), it was stated to be just another XFS file system..... Just saying....
Removing the hard drive for the sake of a file transfer won't actually void the warrantee, but if the user damages the drive or the HDHomeRun in the process of doing so, then that wouldn't be covered.

While I'm on the topic, RMA claims will need the original drive, so anyone wanting to do a DIY upgrade for more space will want to hang on to the original drive, and understand that we won't guarantee performance of the replacement drive. So even if it's a tuner that fails (theoretically speaking, we don't expect anything like that to fail), the original drive will need to go back with the SCRIBE for an in-warranty replacement.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm one of the people that are still holding on to Windows 7 and WMC. The announcement of the Duo+ way back when convinced me to hold onto Win7 just a bit longer. I don't know how many are doing the same as me, but yeah, add my plus 1 to the crowd that would very much appreciate a way to move my WMC recordings onto the Scribe.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 pm

shawn_75 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm
add my plus 1 to the crowd that would very much appreciate a way to move my WMC recordings onto the Scribe.
Moving the non-copy protected recordings themselves is certainly possible. The challenge is the metadata extract and then import in the HDHR DVR system. There are some 3rd party tools that can assist extracting the metadata from WTV files (the one I remember is WTV-MetaRenamer, but there are likely others), and there are some 3rd party tools (documented in the Development topic area) that can adjust the metadata in the HDHR DVR file ecosystem. Combining something like them together should be a fairly easy exercise for someone with actual source files and some scripting skills. And then offer that to others AS-IS. Given that the results will never be even close to perfect I am not sure SD should want to deal with all the complaints and bad mouthing about "it is not perfect!!!!!", which we see all the time on this board.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:19 pm

signcarver wrote:

Guide data is not "downloaded" and saved like it is with wmc, but rather is accessed by the DeviceAuth of the tuner by the client either as needed.

There is not a way to specify recording only by channwl/time as one must pick a show to record.
thanks... thats how the simpleTV tuners worked. they required a guide service but groupon had a lifetime free subscription if you bought the device there.

simpleTV went out of business but SiliconDust made their boxes

being forced to buy guide service even at $3-4 a month is not something I am going to ever do

thanks for the info

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 pm

shawn_75 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm
I'm one of the people that are still holding on to Windows 7 and WMC. The announcement of the Duo+ way back when convinced me to hold onto Win7 just a bit longer. I don't know how many are doing the same as me, but yeah, add my plus 1 to the crowd that would very much appreciate a way to move my WMC recordings onto the Scribe.
honestly I suggest you hold on to what you have if you can.

ATSC3.0 Tv Tuners are being introduced in South Korea and it won't be much longer until they end up in the USA...

that means we all have to buy new tuners and or TVs

Its gonna suck hard... i just bought a 50 inch TV under 2 years ago.. it was a discount model thats not a smart tv but to me its still brand new..

I was lucky enough to have a 4 tuner cablecard box and a 15TB NAS so I recorded everything .. heh pretty much litterally everything i have like 30k shows and 3k movies heh

so screw that noise i am just watching that and youtube on my TV ... maybe i will get a SiliconDust atsc 3 tuner to watch through my local network when they come out .. but maybe not if it requires subscription.. maybe i will find a single tuner card to throw in a pc .. or one of them converter boxes we all used during the last digital tv upgrade and just watch live antenna .. and youtube free stuff and all of my recordings..

I am cheap but i am sick of paying for TV... i am just done with that

No Netflix .. no Cable TV .. no HBO MLB screw that .. just free..
its all garbage anyway so why pay for it if I also have to watch commercials... the commercials are suppose to make it free..

idk thanks for your reply

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:39 pm

You can still use HDHomerun without the guide/DVR subscription. There are other ways to have free DVR, AndroidTVs Live Channels come to mind. But the Scribe and Servio will only work with HDHomerun DVR* which requires the subscription.

*unless SD changes it and opens it for 3rd party storage.