HDhomerun multiple users?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Streets814

HDhomerun multiple users?

Post by Streets814 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a quatro and loving it! I know I have 4 tuners available and am aware multiple TV tunings and it DVR process can happen at once as a result. I also know I can use multiple home runs to increase my tuners for views in my house.

My question is this:

Does each channel use a tuner towards my tuner cap or is it each user? Meaning if my quatro has 4 tuners, and if 2 members of my household are watching the same channel on different devices does this use one or two two of the available tuners?

Or say my area has only 8 channels (hypothetical,) and I buy another quatro, will having a total of 8 tuners mean I will never have an issue with channels in my house? Meaning I have a tuner for every possible channel, in theory even if I have 9 devices in my house there is a tuner for every channel in my area.

Thanks in advance!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDhomerun multiple users?

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm

If you have an HDHomeRun DVR running, multiple people can be watching live TV on the same channel and it will only use one tuner.

Karter

Post by Karter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm
If you have an HDHomeRun DVR running, multiple people can be watching live TV on the same channel and it will only use one tuner.
BUT

This is a bit confusing to me, that said only if 2 users are watching the same TV channel, if one is watching a different TV channel then indeed 2 tuners are used. Am I correct? because I use WMC and I assign each user (TV set) a single tuner to use (regardless of what they watch).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi,

If you have two QUATROs you have a pool of 8 tuners available.

Without the HDHomeRun DVR you can have up to 8 users viewing at once where each user can be on any channel (1 active user = 1 tuner). The tuners are allocated automatically as needed.

With a HDHomeRun DVR PC/NAS/Server you can have any number of users watching or recording any combination of up to 8 channels.
Karter wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:41 am
This is a bit confusing to me, that said only if 2 users are watching the same TV channel, if one is watching a different TV channel then indeed 2 tuners are used. Am I correct? because I use WMC and I assign each user (TV set) a single tuner to use (regardless of what they watch).
If 2 users are watching different channels that will use 2 tuners. You don't need to assign tuners to users.

If 2 users are watching the same channel - with DVR that will use 1 tuner, without DVR that will use 2 tuners.

Nick