Connecting directly to Mac

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
handfish

Connecting directly to Mac

Post by handfish » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Hey. I found the following article, which may be a bit dated: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4088

I'm trying to connect my HDHomeRun Connect directly to my Mac mini using a USB-ethernet dongle. The article above suggests setting of the PC's IP range, however it appears the Connect is automatically giving itself an IP address. If I connect Connect to a router the HDHomeRun software gets an image, but doesn't if I connect the Connect to the ethernet dongle. So do I still need to be allocating the machine it connects to an IP number in the designated range? Is there still setup software? (I've just downloaded the latest drivers.)

Thanks for any help.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Connecting directly to Mac

Post by signcarver » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 pm

The tuner can either get an ip address from a dhcp server or will use a "random" one through apipa (169.254.x.x).

Your client (computer) will have to be on same subnet and can get confused if multiple network ports are on same subnet (as it may put a broadcast out the wrong port for discovery). Typically for direct connect you would want to specify a 169.254.x.x /16 address to such ethernet port of the computer (though "eventually" it may also automatically get such) or put a dhcp server on the computer to hand out an ip to the tuner... you may also wish to have some sort of internet sharing if you wish a guide with SD's software.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:33 pm

handfish wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Thanks for any help.
What is the goal you are trying to achieve of connecting the tuner directly to the mac mini? Some legacy and 3rd party solution(s) do not require Internet access, but most of the recent SD software expects all devices to have access to the Internet to provide the optimal experience, so it is more than just configuring an additional ethernet interface.

handfish

Post by handfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 am

I think the main goal is to minimise waste. I have the ethernet-usb dongle, and my next option -- after a failure of a router -- is to but another router. I know it is cheap, but I'm just thinking of reducing the system. The Mac mini runs the TV/Plex server and distributes out. I was trying to see whether I can make it happen with HDConnect prior to adding the Plex server complication.