HDHR Prime Cable Card not pairing with COX

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
scottd2

Re: HDHR Prime Cable Card not pairing with COX

Post by scottd2 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm
Cox has no consistent policy for copy protection. Some regions like Phoenix are like ex-TWC Spectrum where all but the locals are protected, while others are like Comcast where only premium channels are.
In my testing with a cablecard on the Phoenix Cox system, ALL channels were protected. Even the local OTA channels we locked down by Cox. If you are in Phoenix, there is no alternative except OTA (or satellite). But, with all of the mountains in the Metro Phoenix area and signals coming from South Mountain, getting a good OTA signal is hit or miss.

I also found that dealing with the tech support people of Cox was like having an in depth conversation with a family cat. They hear you, but go about doing whatever they want.

FYI, in the last 30 days I threatened to pull the plug on Cox. Told them I would be going to Internet only (79.99). They were able to reduce my $212.00 per month bill (for basic cable, 1 DVR, 1 mini box and Internet) to $135.00 for service exactly as would have been billed at $212. And they doubled my internet speed to bring it up to the current offerings as well as providing Showtime for 1 year at no charge. This is $2.00 more than pricing for Internet and adding a streaming service to get the same services (channels). They see the writing on the wall. I think they are now beginning to make adjustments accordingly.

Remember the phrase "Retention Department Please". And once you get there and negotiate with the rep, ask to speak with a Manager. Strongly recommend recording (and announcing that you are doing so) and document the names of people you speak with during the call. They don't call themselves Cox for nothing.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:25 pm

scottd2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Remember the phrase "Retention Department Please".
There was a time, and still is in some specific highly competitive markets, where that helps. Not so much with more and more providers anymore(*) in more and more parts of the country. And if you listen to what the C-level execs are saying at industry events (by saying it publicly, they avoid certain, um, legal opportunities) regarding the need to contain discounts, you are going to see the trend (no discounts) continue moving forward. The steps are obvious, but there are certain first mover disadvantages, which is why mentioned them publicly it opens up some approaches.

(*) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... l-are-over

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 pm

It's a violation of federal code to copy protect local broadcast channels. I've never seen Cox do it intentionally, though I have occasionally seen various providers mess up and somehow get individual CableCARDs to protect everything, even when other cards in the market (or even for the same customer) work properly. The only provider I can think of who has done it on purpose was Charter, and every time they did it they eventually backed down either after customers citing chapter and verse of federal code, or when FCC complaints were filed and their own legal team reached out and whacked whoever did it across the nose with a rolled up newspaper and told them "NO!".

Phoenix is one of the best markets in the country for OTA coverage because of South Mountain and the terrain. There are a few areas like PV that are dead spots, but the vast majority of the populated area is flat and has perfect OTA coverage thanks to the broadcast towers being 1600' above everything else. The main problem is that many of the houses have stucco siding and tile roofs and those pretty well block RF from getting in.